What is the right age to start Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDiver.com

Registered
Reaction score
My son turned 11 this February...

When should I officially start him with SCUBA? I know about the minimum age for PADI, but when are they really ready? :06: Any experiences? Currently he uses SNUBA.

I'm 17,though i'm not an expert,but i would think that at least 14 or 15 when they are more matured to react appropriately underwater.The theory classes is another thing,are they matured enough to understand what is being taught in the class?
these are juz some factors that you might want to take into consideration.
I started when i was 16yrs old.
But hey it is all up to you

Depends on maturity. I know some 10 year olds that I would teach before some 17 year olds. If the student is in the class by themselves, it makes a big difference too. If it is a bunch of 16 year-old boys that all try to top each other, then it becomes a pain. I find that younger kids sometimes can make better students, if they have the ability and skills to do dive tables.

Have to agree with kent, depends on the student but also the instructor. If the student is able to understand the material, do the skills and think rather than react then they may be ready for scuba.

I've helped with classes with young teenagers and they have been better than many adults. These "kids" listen to what you have to say and it shows in their abilities where some adults just don't listen or something because they don't improve.

like he says...depends on the maturity of the kid.Not that i m a braggart,but when i took my basic scuba course with my friend,we knew that diving can be dangrous if we played a fool around.We had a purpose which is to learn diving and not waste our time and money playing a fool around.We had found out that diving is not a competative sport from one of our teachers so we took it in our stride.

I was OW certified at 13, but my Dad held my hand on every dive until I was 16. Diving with my Dad absolutely calmed the waters of my teen-aged years and strengthened our relationship.
Today I have my own grandchildren, and my Dad and I still talk a lot about those wonderful times of diving through my teenage years.

My open water class had several children of varying ages and backgrounds, so here are a few real-life examples:

Bio_girl: She was 15 or 16 and taking the class by herself. Noone in her family dived if I remember correctly, but they were supportive of her. She wanted to be a marine biologist when she started college, and was already a fish freak. She behaved well, acted mature, and aside from a few issues with mask clearing (like who didn't have those), she did good.

Monster and Son: This was a pair in my OW class, father and 10-11 yr old son. The son had trouble with tables and it looked like his dad did the homework. He never paid attention in class and often had to be corralled back to the rest of us. Of course the father wasn't any better and often berated his son in front of everyone, "What's wrong with you!? It's just a mask clear, get with it moron!" etc etc. I had just finished reading the book about the Rouse's tragedy (Last Dive), and I saw eerie similarities. Unfortunately they weren't in my check out dives so no idea if they passed or not.

Gnarly_dude: I got an ear infection after pool work and had to delay my OW checkouts. Because of that, noone from my original class was with me that day and I got buddied up with a stranger. He was a 17 yr old surfer dude, and seemed ok on land. In the water he was often playing around, but so was everyone else while we waited on the platform for the lost folks in the quarry to find their way to us. Aside from kicking my mask and regulator off twice (that could be my fault for being too close), he did ok and was a good buddy.

I think it all boils down to two things: Maturity and The Will to Dive. You need to have both to be a good learner and a safe buddy. Unfortunately it's sometimes hard to read them both in people, so you just have to do your best.

I think 16 is a good age to start. I started in '67 when I was 16 and stopped, I hope briefly, at 52. I went from NAUI Open water, dove all the dives that are today, Advanced dives. I also ran Super Marathons to 40mile race. That was BEFORE running was cool!
I went to Navy Diving School and Navy First Class school then after the Navy, I went to a Commercial School in Seattle. After that many other diving classes for work.
Thats a total of 35yrs of diving. Some of the Years were 2000hrs/year but most were 800-950hrs a year. Granted that in my diving We count only the Hours not dives. Sometimes I would be in the water for 10hrs. Only coffee breaks and Lunch breaks.
I believe that at 16 is a good time to start diving. Learn early and break those Invinceable dives..........B-----

Well I was certified when I was fourteen. I handled it just fine but I also had a good instructor. In my opinion it depends on the instructor, on how well he teaches and his/her pace, and also the maturity leave the child has.

I would also say that it depends on the individual child. My kids have been "diving" in the swimming pool since they were about 3 years old. The two oldest ones (ages 6 and 11) have moved on to a surface flotation vest with a small air cylinder, but I don't think my 11 year old is mature enough to handle open water scuba yet. I will revisit the issue when he is 13, and until them they can enjoy surface scuba at Weeki Watchee and places like that. I will try and post a picture I have of my 6 year old in the Florida springs...

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom