What is the problem with plastic buckles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Proud owner of three broken Fastex type connectors in each case one of the teeth broke after several years of robust use.On was on crotch strap 1 1/2 in.1 was 2 in on a BC.1 was 1 1/2 in on kayak i occasionally dive from.Wifes recreational rig is full of them.My B/P is all SS for reasons UP so simply stated.

On several posts, I have seen discussion from people who have had broken fastex plastic buckles, or have had buckles come undone. When (if) I ever get my ACB pockets from Halcyon, I will be a little paranoid about the small (~1") retainer buckles that hold the weights in the pockets. Don't want one to come loose and find 1/2 of my weight falling out! It seems that no one (?) has come up with an elegant solution to this potential problem. In another post I started, FredT mentioned old-style D-ring/strap closures as an alternative. It seems that these would be difficult to undo in an emergency. Seems like we have an opportunity for someone to come up with a stronger, more positively-locking, but still easy to release buckle, perhaps made of SS or other material. I have searched the internet a little, for SS buckles, but have not found exactly what I think we need. If anyone else knows of something, please let us know. On the other hand, I read a reply from Uncle Pug, who, I believe, agreed that the small ACB buckles would only be a problem if they became broken due to damage resulting from, e.g., improper equipment stowage on the dive boat. What do the other DIR divers say about this issue???

Thanks,
Dave:confused:

I had a pair of ankle weights with fastex buckles -- one has a broken buckle (one of the "teeth" broke after about 10 dives).....but the buckle still stays together.

The other weight disppeared on a night dive......probably same cause....different result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom