what is the practical difference ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
between an OMS Rotating Cross Bar and an OMS Captured O-Ring manifold?

http://www.omsdive.com/valves.html

i am putting together a Faber LP108 doubles set, and am looking to buy a manifold

thanks in advance

The rotating cross bar has 3 o-rings allowing for an o-ring or 2 to fail on each side before the entire manifold fails. The manifold inserts into the valves and a nut tightens it down. The captured o-ring manifold has 1 o-ring on each side of the manifold that is seated inside. If that o-ring goes, the manifold goes. I use dual o-ring manifolds for the redundancy.

I thought you were going SM?

Check out the new "cave diver extreme adventure" manifold!!!! It has 4.... no 5 o-rings!

give me a break!

As I believe, a 300bar Captured O-ring design is less prone to the manifold bent that is also one of common failure point on the manifold.

Which is more common, either O-ring failure or bent?

H2Andy:
between an OMS Rotating Cross Bar and an OMS Captured O-Ring manifold?

http://www.omsdive.com/valves.html

i am putting together a Faber LP108 doubles set, and am looking to buy a manifold

thanks in advance
I have the captured o-ring version- it's essentially seals like your DIN regs.

100 bar? The 200 bar version can be adapted to accept yoke regs, while the 300 bar version is too large for yoke regs. I'm not sure if there are other differences.

I originally wanted the 300 bar version, but got the 200 bar instead to make it easier to fill at some places. The place where I usually get my fills has primarily yoke tank filler-uppers.

200 bar is more than enough if you are using LP and AL tanks without a big overfills.

The thread is definately different (7 vs. 5 threads) between 200 and 300 bar.

hoosier:
200 bar is more than enough if you are using LP and AL tanks without a big overfills.
There is no strength difference between 200-bar and 300-bar. The only difference is in the number of threads.

DiveRiteExpress:
The Deutsches Institut Für Normung (DIN) is a German standards setting organization similar to our American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Compressed Gas Association (CGA). DIN 477 is a specification that recommends cylinder valve outlet and connector designs for specific types of gases and pressures based upon safety considerations. These various designs have deliberate incompatibilities to preclude the possibility of errors when handling different types of compressed gases at differing working pressures. The two valve outlets and connectors of interest for divers are the DIN 477 No. 13 and the DIN 477 No. 56 (formerly No. 50), both designated for use with compressed air. The DIN 477 valve and regulator fittings are most widely used outside the U.S. The regulator first stage DIN connector is a male screw type, and instead of clamping on to the outside of the valve as does the yoke, it screws directly into the female DIN outlet of the valve. The sealing O-ring is held in the end of the regulator connector rather than in the face of the outlet. The DIN 477 system, with it's captured o-ring design, has proven to be very reliable for use with SCUBA.

Outlet/Connector #13 is from DIN 477 part 1 - for cylinders with test pressure ratings up to 300 bar and is commonly referred to in the SCUBA industry by the slang term "200 bar", probably because most cylinders with 300 bar test pressures have working pressures in the 200 bar range. Outlet/Connector #56 is from DIN 477 part 5 - for cylinders with test pressure ratings up to 450 bar and is commonly referred to in the SCUBA industry by the slang term "300 bar". The two designs are nearly identical, but the #56 valve outlet is deliberately deeper so the shorter #13 connector will not be long enough to seat properly. This is a safety feature to prevent connecting a low pressure device to a high pressure supply. It's important to understand that the "200 bar" or "300 bar" descriptions are just slang terms that have nothing to do with the pressure ratings of the outlets and connectors themselves!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom