What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is at one of the popular dives here on island

36369.jpg

Barracuda2:
I dove the U352 off NC in 1980 (?), just about 5 yrs after it was found and before all of the ordinance was removed and hatches welded shut by the Navy. The forward torpedo loading hatch was open. as were conning tower, and we got into the forward room where I got a plastic name plate from below a guage. It reads "Treibolschalter" which I have yet to find out what it means. On the back it has ""I - 05" imprinted; don't know what that stands for either. It now decorates my memoribelia hutch. Also found the ball end of a femur bone, and of course, left it there. I wanted to drop through the conning tower hatch, but that meant removing fins and tank and pulling them in after me; didn't think that was a good idea at 115 ft. and not planned. I thought maybe that would be the next time I dove this sub, but the Navy came along later and welded her up and removed the aft torpedo that stuck out and a torpedo that was strapped to the hull and was laying next to the sub. It was an exciting dive.

OK!! I can,t figure out how to get a photo into my post, but I did get a pict into my gallery. Check out my gallery for a photo of this gauge plate. thanks.

Thanks Dandy Don---I finally got it!!!

Mr. Illiterate (Barracuda2)

Barracuda2:
The word "treibol" has 2 dots above the "o". Does that make a difference in translation?

The dots do in fact make a difference. (It is basically the same as "oe.") The ol is then the word for oil. It would appear that the winner is in fact "Propulsion oil switch." (Treib oel schalter)

NetDoc.

During a dive in Bonaire last September, I found NetDoc laying face down in the sand. He was teaching an AOW class, and he was having the students practice some rescue drills. The problem is that I was his "buddy" and I was not taking part in the class. In fact, at the dive briefing, I was supposed to lay prone in the sand so he could use me as an example to show the students. He forgot, and he "assumed the position". I watched him for a while, and then went over and "rescued" him.

If you know Pete, then you know just how odd a find it was!

Wristshot

bubblemonkey:
and you found out it had lead shot in it how exactly..............:D

He had a X-RAY LOL

on my first dive, I randomly put my hand in the sand for a second. No reason, through out the whole dive (this was at 25 mins) I had not touched the sand. But the moment I did, I found a star fish in my palm. Very weird for me, but very pleasing too :D

bubblemonkey:
and you found out it had lead shot in it how exactly..............:D
It was planted. They saw him coming. :D

Gary D.

Barracuda2:
I dove the U352 off NC in 1980 (?), just about 5 yrs after it was found and before all of the ordinance was removed and hatches welded shut by the Navy. The forward torpedo loading hatch was open. as were conning tower, and we got into the forward room where I got a plastic name plate from below a guage. It reads "Treibolschalter" which I have yet to find out what it means.
It's German. Treibol means fuel oil and Schalter can mean switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom