What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This summer I came across a "pillar" of something tightly wrapped with loads of line and lobster pot buoys. Obviously man made...and quite odd. It was in about 40 feet of water and seemed to go almost to the surface.

Three of us were swimming along and we all came to a dead stop and started to look back and forth at each other. Very strange, I need to go back and get a picture.

Someone's dearly departed who wanted their mortal remains dumped in the water off of Cape Neddick.

JohnL:
This summer I came across a "pillar" of something tightly wrapped with loads of line and lobster pot buoys. Obviously man made...and quite odd. It was in about 40 feet of water and seemed to go almost to the surface.

Three of us were swimming along and we all came to a dead stop and started to look back and forth at each other. Very strange, I need to go back and get a picture.

Did it look like this?
linemess.jpg

We are still trying to figure out what is sticking up from the bottom in that picture. Whatever it it catches all sorts of lines.

I dove the U352 off NC in 1980 (?), just about 5 yrs after it was found and before all of the ordinance was removed and hatches welded shut by the Navy. The forward torpedo loading hatch was open. as were conning tower, and we got into the forward room where I got a plastic name plate from below a guage. It reads "Treibolschalter" which I have yet to find out what it means. On the back it has ""I - 05" imprinted; don't know what that stands for either. It now decorates my memoribelia hutch. Also found the ball end of a femur bone, and of course, left it there. I wanted to drop through the conning tower hatch, but that meant removing fins and tank and pulling them in after me; didn't think that was a good idea at 115 ft. and not planned. I thought maybe that would be the next time I dove this sub, but the Navy came along later and welded her up and removed the aft torpedo that stuck out and a torpedo that was strapped to the hull and was laying next to the sub. It was an exciting dive.

Barracuda..........I would think that you used great wisdom in not messing with the torpedo. Whoaaa but human remains.......I think my breathing would accelerate on that one.

Really really good comments so far.

Happy Diving

a really huge sink plug that i was afraid to pull out just incase the world is flat and all the water would flush away :D

oh, and a bundle of clothing - jacket, pants, shirt, knickers... always wondered if it was a skinny dip prank gone wrong

Tom Winters:
I was working for a Japanese dive company in Honolulu. I had descended to 100' off Waikiki with my four customers. I turned around and there next to me was the captain of the boat who had FREEDIVED to the bottom.
He waved and then casually returned to the surface. Not having any eardrums made it easy enough for him to go that deep quickly.

has little or nothing to do with his ear drums. I have given many scuba divers a pinch at over 100ft on a breathhold and my ear drums are just fine. always amazes me how confused they look.....

Strangest thing? hmm... that's a tough one.... going to go with a Full, unopened bottle of Saporo Beer..... IN SAUDI ARABIA :D (dry country) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom