What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of those sports are waning just like SCUBA because our youngsters are different people. Most are not adventurous, and were trained by helicopter parents. Getting tired, dirty, sweaty, and bloody is no longer considered fun or adventurous. Being an overweight couch potato is becoming the norm.

BINGO!

I think the answers to everything have been pretty well covered but one real big killer where I live is people aren't even aware that anyone dives anywhere that isn't tropical.

Its a bit funny since the state of WI has some pretty noteworthy wreck diving along the two sides of the state that are great lakes with hotels and camp sites so cheap that cost is about the same as a cheap summer vacation trip at most.

Someone really needs to promote scuba on a national level or it will always be one of those things that everyone wants to do in their life but so few actually get around to doing.

It doesn't help that the same people that are supposed to be promoting it (LDS) are the same ones pricing everyone out of it with the comically overpriced and underfunctioning recreational crap they sell and then telling them it all has to be professionally serviced every year.
Its not really their fault, if overpriced stuff is all the market has available what else can they sell, and without pushing everyone into frequent service it would be like the companies making printers not selling ink, they would make no money.
Still it is rather silly that people think you will instantly die if you use any used gear, or fix anything yourself.

I could set someone up with a full set of decent gear for $250 if you really give me time and definitely for $500 and that's everything including the tanks. The hardest part is finding stuff that isn't ancient crappy recreational stuff and correctly sized stuff for BCD's and anything neoprene.
I'm actually still rather butt hurt about how much money I pissed away at the LDS when I was new and ignorant on crap that was so useless I have since completely replaced it with better for less money.
I also service all my own stuff so when I finally get around to buying that scuba compressor (I dive WAY less while my kids are really young so its not worth it) I will never go into a LDS again.

On the topic of people of the current generation not being adventurous, it is super true that most of them socialize and play games digitally now without leaving their rooms.
There are geographical areas where that's less true because they have more things to do locally that are interesting.
But most of the laziness of that type is from people too young to actually go anywhere diving by themselves anyways.

for all my friends and girlfriend who started diving, but didn't keep diving, the answer was very simple.

Scuba diving is a Hassle.

It's as simple as that. We like to pretend it's not the case, but it's a hobby that involves tons of prep/maintenance and hauling around of stuff before you can do the actual diving.

for all my friends and girlfriend who started diving, but didn't keep diving, the answer was very simple.

Scuba diving is a Hassle.

It's as simple as that. We like to pretend it's not the case, but it's a hobby that involves tons of prep/maintenance and hauling around of stuff before you can do the actual diving.

It's not a hassle for me Sir. I look forward to diving. I look forward to planning a dive and then diving the plan. I look forward to diving with friends and family so I can enjoy other folks who have a common interest. I could give you more reasons why I look forward to diving: uw photography, meditating underwater, leaving the cell phone on land, not answering beepers, looking at gorgeous fish and marine life including plants and many many more reasons. Many of us dive to relax and enjoy some quiet and enjoyable time with ourselves (solo diving) or with f&f.

It's not a hassle for me Sir. I look forward to diving. I look forward to planning a dive and then diving the plan. I look forward to diving with friends and family so I can enjoy other folks who have a common interest. I could give you more reasons why I look forward to diving: uw photography, meditating underwater, leaving the cell phone on land, not answering beepers, looking at gorgeous fish and marine life including plants and many many more reasons. Many of us dive to relax and enjoy some quiet and enjoyable time with ourselves (solo diving) or with f&f.

I think Joris Vd was pointing out that it's a hassle for most people who are in it more casually, though if everything is rented, it's not much of a hassle, but becomes a comfort and expense issue.

I'm not going to philosophize about why this is, and why participation in diving seems to be waning, so many people say (I haven't seen that here, and we seem to certifiy more young folks than old). Or why it is not as attractive to especially young people today, for this or that reason.
I will say that IMO, cost is not a big factor, though it can be. If you look at the cost of a dive vacation as part of the expense, maybe. If you buy top of the line stuff and regularly replace it, maybe. That wouldn't be me.
My only reason for waiting to get OW cert. at age 51 is that's when we moved to right on the ocean after 25 years in Northern Manitoba. No incentive for me to dive up there in the northern lakes.

What do we mean by "becoming popular"? Aren't there like a zillion more divers than 50 years ago? Wasn't that on e plan that PADI had? Are there not places in the tropics so crowded that you actually have to worry about getting your mask kicked off? Or boats going out from Long Island, NY that require reservations way in advance?

Here in NZ, my perception is that scuba is declining big time and freediving-style spearfishing is growing quite a bit. I am one of the few people I know who do both and I can say that the main reason I have done less scuba diving is cost. I have also had trouble finding good dive buddies in the past.

A quick look around our retail shops shows that an entry-level scuba kit with 1 tank and OW cert will set you back $2700 from our cheapest shop. Then each 2 dive day will need an additional $5 for a fill and $15 for a tank hire as a minimum. Add to this yearly servicing @ $150 and a 2 tank dive every other weekend without boat costs. With those conditions, your first year of scuba diving will be $3,370 if you shore dive, not including vehicle costs.

Compare that to spearfishing. A basic complete package including a freediving course is $1,369, and many people don't do the course which brings the total to $819. With very little skill most people will be bringing home a feed with this, and the quality of fish shot will increase with time. Because beginners tend to stick to 20ft or shallower dives, shore diving is a great way to learn skills and stay safe. With those conditions your first year of spearfishing every other weekend will be a max of $1,369.

I have no desire to shore dive with SCUBA as it is too shallow to be worth it in most places here. Less than 30ft deep I find scuba to be more of a hinderance vs freediving. Because of this and a limited amount of funds, I did spearfishing for years until I could afford scuba, and then only really got into it once I found some good dive buddies and joined the local dive club. I'm not a huge fan of my LDS either, they are too busy trying to scare me into buying stuff to try and get my enthusiasm going.

I now do roughly 50/50 spearfishing and scuba. I reckon here that many of the people who would have done scuba are now going into free-dive spearfishing. It's perceived as more of a manly thing and part of our hunting/outdoors culture. Scuba is becoming more of a niche for vacationing professionals.

I guess every person or location is different. I find scuba diving in 10-30 feet of water searching for shells way easier than before I was certified and dived down & up all the %^*$ing time.

It is a pain in the ass.

If I want to play golf, I grab my clubs and go to the golf course. Pay my $100 and drive around playing golf and drinking beer for the afternoon.

If I want to go diving, I need to schedule a boat, get tanks filled, get gear assembled, drive to the boat, get on the boat and sit in the hot sun for 2 hours going to the wreck. Spend a whopping 20 -40 minutes freezing my ass off on the wreck and then spend another 1-2 hours floating in freezing cold water on deco so that I can spend another 1-2 hours riding back on said boat.
Then I can go home, tear down all of my gear and hang it up to dry. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, I sign up and do it every weekend and a few nights during the week. But I can't even pretend it isn't a pain in the ass hobby.

I don't think cost really comes into play. I used to roadrace motorcycles professionally before I got into diving. Prior to that, I raced dirtbikes.
Costs are comparable.
Hobbies are expensive, pick one you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom