What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How popular are we talking about?

Main things i see are
  • Fear and potential danger
  • Perceived difficulty
  • Boring dive agency classes
  • Expenses of classes and equipment and fills
  • Lack of good local scuba attractions
  • No available dive buddy
  • Limited social opportunities vs other activities
I think this sums it up well, coupled with the fact that scuba simply isn't on most peoples radar. Scuba isn't something you see on TV, it's not something that you do as a kid, and it's certainly not something you see going on around you as you travel through town.
Personally, I'm not so sure the expense is the main limiting factor to scuba uptake. You can buy a top of the line reg set, BCD, wetsuit, mask and fins for the cost of an entry level full suspension mountain bike. It's not uncommon for me to encounter complete beginners on the trail with 2.5-4k bikes. The difference is you can learn to ride a bike at your own pace, without having to worry about killing yourself if you screw up or your equipment fails.

Hmmm, the question presumes there is just one fundamental reason.....doubtful, given the responses so far.

Two other activities I have been involved in over the years have similar high cost and time investment, and also suffer the same wax and wane of participation, flying and off-road motorcycle racing.

Scuba is no different than any other leisure activity, for most at some point the cost in time and money outweighs the benefit. For others they get hooked and make it a priority in their life.

Do you have another activity in mind which is equipment heavy, expensive, involve some risk and yet more popular than scuba?

And for the vast majority of people also involves traveling to a destination you can’t drive to or easily drive to (say, for a day of diving and back home in time for dinner). I think of popular sports like cycling. Sure, a bike can be expensive, and there is some risk of injury, but you don’t regularly need to make travel plans.

The sport began with spearfishing and men that wanted some adventure while helping to feed their young families. Some people started to focus on underwater photography or wreck diving. Perhaps more than any other factor, adventure has been replaced with fairly regimented site seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom