What is the difference in Models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking on Amazon at the GO Pro Hero 2 HD and some of them say 2011 model. There are also some that say (latest model). Which one is the best?

If I want to use it mostly for diving should I get the Outdoor Edition or the Surf Edition?

Do I also have to add the Go Pro Dive Housing? Should I try to get the one from Backscatter?

Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure about the model year difference, but the Outdoor versus Surf is a matter of the mounting accessories. Take a look at the list and see what suits you better.

You should definitely get a dive housing. Without it, the domed port on the regular housing will prevent the camera from focusing properly underwater. I also recommend a filter for proper color correction. The GoPro dive housing is priced right and you can add a "flip up" filter from Backscatter.

Not sure about the model year difference, but the Outdoor versus Surf is a matter of the mounting accessories. Take a look at the list and see what suits you better.

You should definitely get a dive housing. Without it, the domed port on the regular housing will prevent the camera from focusing properly underwater. I also recommend a filter for proper color correction. The GoPro dive housing is priced right and you can add a "flip up" filter from Backscatter.

what he said-

here is my setup- gopro with dive housing and backscatter filter

533247_3764400667698_219300218_n.jpg

what he said-

here is my setup- gopro with dive housing and backscatter filter

Do you have any videos posted using the filter? I am considering ordering one. Currently I'm using a gel inside the housing. The deeper shots look great, but my surface and shallow shots are very red.

The model year difference is most likely just the firmware. Which just means you would update the firmware when you get it. Not a big deal.

The 3 GoPro HD Hero models are

HD hero

Known also as original, HD1 or Hero1 since the Hero2 camera out this is the 1080p hd hero model that does 1080p30 medium fov 127 and 720p60 wide 170 fov. It works with all the bacpac expansions battery, LCD, 3D and wifi. It does have limited use of the wifi bacpac as it will not do live streaming only and only work as a remote control.

Motorsport1.683x427_grande.jpg

HD Hero 960

This was a cheaper version of the original HD Hero above. Main difference is the highest video mode is 1280x960p30 and it doesn't do 60p in 720 which limited to only 720p30. This doesnt except any bacpacs at all as it has no expansion port.

GOPRO-960.jpg

HD Hero2

this is the current latest model which is an improvement over the HD hero commonly known as HD2 or hero2. This has improved image quality and selectable FOV modes in 1080p, this is also meant to be available in the 720p modes in a future firmware upgrade. There is also a Protune firmware upgrade in the works that will improve image quality much further with higher bit-rate encoding 35Mb/s from the current 15-20Mb/s along with a more raw style video output to make colour correcting and mixing with other cameras much easier. This excepts all current bacpacs and will support live streaming via wifi when the soon to be released app comes out. Wifi will not work underwater though so its only good for above water use.
GoPro_HDHERO2_camera.jpg

Here is the camera comparison at the gopro site http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hd-hero2-hd-hero-cameras/ All these models come with the same water proof housing with a round lens, this is unfortunately Blurry underwater even though its rated to 60m depth so you need either a 3rd party flat lens or the GoPro dive housing.

go-pro-hd-skeleton-housing_0.jpg

herodive2.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg
bs-gpuwg.jpg

The cameras come in different packages such as Naked, Motorsports, Helmet, Surf or outdoor. These are all the same camera with the stock underwater housing with round lens, they just have different mount options in each package, you can buy any mounts separately so just get the package you think you’d use most mount wise and if you want more you can purchase any other mounts later.

gopro_hd_hero2_motosport_edition.jpg

There will be a new model most likely called Hero3 which is in development but GoPro keeps things pretty quiet, they have made some hero2 announcements regarding the wifi bacpac app and protune that have been delayed and has received some negative feedback so I think they will go back to their old method of just keeping quiet and releasing it when its ready.

I think it will either be released this month along with many other brands at Photokina or otherwise most likely sometime in the next 6 months. Its been just about 12 months since the Hero2 got released and the Hero1 was around for a few years before the Hero2 came out. There were also some GoPro models before that which all had a similar look to them but these were just SD versions quite a few years back.

i just ordered the Hero 2 "outdoor" --- not sure what filters i might want/need -- been hearing possible red or green filter needed down here in south florida for depth/water color

i just ordered the Hero 2 "outdoor" --- not sure what filters i might want/need -- been hearing possible red or green filter needed down here in south florida for depth/water color

You will need a housing with a flat port or a replacement port. Either filter to which you refer is going to be red, but they are different shades, one to compensate for blue water and the other for green water. For the most part, in Florida, I'd think the one to compensate for blue water will handle most situations. If you were diving quarries or north of Hatteras, NC, I'd recommend the version for green water.

Back
Top Bottom