Votes: 23 19.8%
  • 80'

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • 100+

Votes: 59 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, apparently you also can't teach a new dog old tricks either.

captain:
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, apparently you also can't teach a new dog old tricks either.

Captain I keep learning all the new tricks BUT I NEVER forget the old tricks which is all we had 30 + years ago . I think that is why some of us speak from experience and some don't.

Again just my opinion.

String:
Not all agencies.

And i applaud the forward thinking ones that no longer require it instead concentrating on the several much better solutions.
not all agencies teach the basic principles of how air expands and contracts with pressure? Really?

Diver Dennis:
Aaaah, but did you do them because you had to, or just practice?

no, I have never practiced. what? ...do you think, I'm stupid? :rofl3: don't answer that.

no kidding, I don't like buzzing past the safety stop...

But, once you start swimming for the surface, I just never experienced any urgency. Even in the neoprene tail with my ankles bound. Now, poor viz, that makes me stressed. Not rational, but thats the way the limbic system is sometimes.

The thought of it (running out of air, upsets me later, when I assign blame)

I am not a good freediver. But I can freedive well enough that I am comfortable not getting air for "awhile". Personally, I think messing around in the water, diving down, horsing around does a lot to improve your diving. Then, the scuba gear feels "extra" not required up to a certain depth. Some divers had that experience as children and some did not. If you didn't, it probably would pay off to play around clearing snorkels and freediving a bit. Picking stuff up off the bottom, finding your way around without a mask, it's very helpful.

I think I just figured out what the better option than a CESA is when there is no breathing gas available. DUH, it’s been right in front of us all along.

Fish have swim bladders. So just grab a Carp and suck air out of his butt.:mooner:

We keep hearing about better options when there is NO Freaking Air available but he never says what they are. Pot stirring is about all I can figure.

He might be going like the MOF/NMOF thread and want that post #1000. :shakehead

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Fish have swim bladders. So just grab a Carp and suck air out of his butt.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Gary D.:
I think I just figured out what the better option than a CESA is when there is no breathing gas available. DUH, it’s been right in front of us all along.

Fish have swim bladders. So just grab a Carp and suck air out of his butt.:mooner:

We keep hearing about better options when there is NO Freaking Air available but he never says what they are. Pot stirring is about all I can figure.

He might be going like the MOF/NMOF thread and want that post #1000. :shakehead

Gary D.
Im sure there is a little air in your BCD and even your suit :p

String:
Not all agencies.

And i applaud the forward thinking ones that no longer require it instead concentrating on the several much better solutions.

Like Howarde, I am confused because here you seem to be saying that not all agencies teach the basic principle that air expands as you rise, but in another post you seem to be saying you are applauding the agencies that are not teaching CESA and are instead teaching "the several much better solutions."

I have two questions:

1. Which agencies are not teaching CESA?

2. What are the "several much better solutions" I should use if I am every out of air without another air source nearby?

boulderjohn:
2. What are the "several much better solutions" I should use if I am every out of air without another air source nearby?

Don't allow yourself to be in that situation. That's the whole point we have all been trying to get across. It's not a difficult thing to accomplish.

Soggy:
Don't allow yourself to be in that situation. That's the whole point we have all been trying to get across. It's not a difficult thing to accomplish.

I get that. I teach that. It's obvious. No one disputes that.

I also teach them that if the unthinkable happens, they do have an option for survival.

So you are saying that no one should ever even be taught that option? Should students be told that if all their training fails them and they do indeed go OOA that they sould just give up and drown?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom