What IS the correct way to store a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larryufl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got my first dry Suit (Bare HD Tech Trilam) and dove with it this past weekend with my instructor. 40 minutes in 39 degree water and I was warm as toast.

My question is, what is the proper way to store a dry suit long term? Llike 30 to 60 days?

Folded in it's bag
Zippers open, zippers closed
Hanging

Is there a BEST PRACTICE way to store the suit?

My approach is loosely rolled, foot-to-head, zipper open. Seal Saver applied applied to neck and wrist seals (latex)

Washed, dry, loosly rolled and placed indoors in a cool, dry, location out of the sun. In a storage bag is also good because it will help keep any ozone out.

It a garage can be bad because the exhaust of your vehicle can contain chemicals like ozone that are bad for the latex.

As noted above keep it loosely rolled, stored in the bag out of direct sunlight. Keep it away from electric motors and natural gas appliances as both produce ozone.

Opinions vary on what to do with the zipper. Open versus partially closed. Keep it straight with no sharp bends as if you bend the zipper too much you will break it between two teeth and eventually it will leak in that location. Also do not keep it closed as the constant pressure on the "dock" (the last little bit where the zipper seals against the stop) will also cause a leak. The viable options are fully open or closed except for all but about the last 6 inches. I prefer fully open.

Opinions vary on seal saver as well. Most suits use glues that can be attacked by what is in seal saver, so if you use it keep it off the glued seams, where the seal is glued to the suit, etc. On White's dry suits, there is no downside as they use a different system for constructing the suit and no glue is involved in the traditional sense.

Unscented talc also works to protect the seals during storage and absorb anything that might be on the seal that could soften it over time.

Talc works to remove some contaminants while seal saver creates a barrier to protect from those same contaminants, but in either case what is important is to ensure the seals are clean and dry before you store the suit.

I always find it best not to let them dry out, dive it every day:D, but if you must let it dry I hang my suits over a piece of 2&1/2 ft piece of 3in ABS pipe with some rope through it tied together to make a loop for hanging from a nail. there It stays until it is put to use again.

The BEST practice is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Different suits (having different materials, zippers, etc.) should be stored differently.

Mine hang from suit or drysuit hangers in a spare room. Can't recall if it's DUI or Diving concepts who recommend closing the outer zipper (not the sealing one) while hanging.

Really, as long as it's try and not getting contaminants on it, it's not a big deal. You're only going to store if a few months at most, I'd guess.

I would avoid drysuit hangars... but otherwise like everyone else said: zip open, loosley rolled, lay it out to dry out of direct sunlight and away from ozone.

I keep mine (trilam) hanging over a rail or laid out on the floor to dry then rolled in its bag when dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom