What is the best recreational wreck dive in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt:
I like the Duane. She's a lovely wreck with a good deal of growth on her for the amount of time she's been down, IMO.

The Duane is by far my favorite South Fl wreck. But if he current is up it certainly is not a OW wreck. If the divers have good skills and and reasonable air consumption this is a good safe dive -- The best option would be to pay extra and have a dive master/guide in the water.

A good option would be to call Barbara at Divers City http://www.diverscityusa.com/ and talk to them. They do all the Upper Keys wrecks and most capable - Rec to Tech.

Now the best Advanced wreck dive in the Florida is also the Duane, drifting the wreck at night is a world class dive experience.

Matteo:
my 2 personal favorites are the Eagle and the Thunderbolt...the tug off Lauderdale could be either the Donald or Peter McAllister??????

I'll second the T-Bolt, I've dove many of the wrecks down in the Keys and IMO none really compare in overall fun to that one. Much of the wreck is shallow enough to be a good intro deep dive and she is pretty much entirely opened up so there are lots of swimthroughs, My favorite being the winding stairs from the engineering deck up to the wheelhouse. She is also short enough 189' that you can see the entire ship on a single dive.

The United Carribean is broken up now. Alot of current up there during tide changes.

The Ancinet Mariner used to be a 70ft wreck with easy swim throughs (haven't been there in a while). Also the Captain Dan is good (100ft).

I've only done the tenneco towers once, but ALOT of fish down there...awsome.

Looking to do the Spiegel Grove later this year

No one's mentioned the wrecks near WPB... there are a number of them and many are easily penitrable.

TheRedHead:
What's your list of top wrecks, Walter? The Keys artifical reef wrecks are ok, but they are not heavily encrusted as I would like. Are there any intact wrecks which have sunk of their own accord?

I'm sorry Darlin', but I missed your question until now. Check post #2.

I think the tug you are thinking about is the Peter McAllister, It's a nice dive, I took a pic of a Florida Regal Sea Goddess on that tug. I would upload a pic, but the function is not working.

If you get down to Key West - try Bob at Dive Key West. I had 3 days of wreck dives that was my best dive to date. Also Conch Republic is really good as well for wreck diving - just watch the currents with the Spiegle, the Eagle and the Duane.

If you get down to Key West - try Bob at Dive Key West. I had 3 days of wreck dives that was my best dive to date. Also Conch Republic is really good as well for wreck diving - just watch the currents with the Spiegle, the Eagle and the Duane.

Which wrecks did you dive in Key West?

I agree the Spiegel is a great dive, just watch the currents. Last time I was there in May 07 we looked like flags flappin in the wind hanging onto the downline.

We did a week long liveaboard back in July doing all the wrecks from WPB to KW and back...my fav was the Eagle....I mean they were all good but some were better than others...my least favorite was the SG, but if I had doubles and a scooter then it would have been different I suppose, in spite of the monster current at the time I liked the Bibb as well. Depending on the conditions at the time they all could be THE dive...
Yarg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom