What is the best computer that meets this criteria...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody says "support your LDS" I kinda look at D6 as my LDS. I just cant figure out how to get fills on the website.
We have a compressor and bank..and you are in Georgia.. :)

A bit late to the party but to answer OP's question Cressi's Newton fulfills all the requirements. It can be worn as a watch, supports Nitrox (2 mixes actually), it has user replaceable batteries and it is from a well known company. I haven't heard any major complains about its' realibility and personally I've done about 200dives with it. I love it .

Apart from the algorithm (RBGM) another thing that might disturb some people is that it gets too conservative from the 3rd daily dive onward (which might or might not be a bad thing). If interested, you can find more about this "problem" here and in the Internet.

The Cressi Newton is definitely attractive...not super stoked on the algorithm [not a deal breaker] or it getting too conservative on multi-day dive trips...but...those are pretty few and far between for me, unfortunately.

Excellent comments, everyone!! There is much to consider!

The Cressi Newton is definitely attractive...not super stoked on the algorithm [not a deal breaker] or it getting too conservative on multi-day dive trips...but...those are pretty few and far between for me, unfortunately.

He said "from 3rd daily dive onwards". So far my Leonardo's been fine with 3-4 dives/day for 6-9 days straight, provided I do long safety stops and 1 hour+ surface intervals, and I strongly suspect Newton's programming is no different.

He said "from 3rd daily dive onwards". So far my Leonardo's been fine with 3-4 dives/day for 6-9 days straight, provided I do long safety stops and 1 hour+ surface intervals, and I strongly suspect Newton's programming is no different.
1. I thought the standard "safety stop" at 6m is 3 -5 mins.
2. What happen if you skip the safety stop?

Excellent clarity and entirely my mistake, I misread that. Thank you for clarifying. Lack of sleep this holidays has been awful.

1. I thought the standard "safety stop" at 6m is 3 -5 mins.
2. What happen if you skip the safety stop?

1. Shore diving and following the sand to waist-deep is more like 10 minutes to get from 6-ish m to the surface. The NDLs after a few days of that are noticeably longer than after a few days of "standard" 3-5 minutes at 3-5m then swim up to the ladder and climb on board.

Typically, even if you stay at the anchor at 7-8 metres for a while before coming up to "standard" SS, it gives you more NDL later on, i.e. it really likes longer shallow time at the end of a dive.

2. Shorter NDLs later on.

IIRC somewhere in Wienke's description of RGBM he says repetitive dive window should be 36 hours. If that's what's implemented -- they could tweak it to 28 or 42 if they wanted -- then you basically carry the penalty of short SI, or fast ascents, or whatever the algorithm doesn't like, over to the next afternoon. It can add up, I assume on a liveaboard trip with nothing to do but dive it can add up pretty quickly. A week on Bonaire with 3, maybe 4 Al80's a day, you'll likely not see any of that "dreaded conservatism" we read so much about on SB.

Well....I ordered an Excursion through wetbe4Igetinthewater!! He also let me swing by his house to see it first hand...it is better than I expected! It shipped out faster than I was told and should be here soon :D

Thank you everyone for your input...I will relay back an update on this once I get it...or you can follow [if you are not already] on the other thread about this computer here:

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Congrats! Don’t hesitate to share your own thoughts (on any of these treads)

Back
Top Bottom