What is safe? Valve has 3000 psi rating, tank is faber HP 3180+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfunk

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a 3180+ faber steel tank from my local scuba-pro store, who got it from XS Scuba. The valve is the pro valve with a 3000psi sticker on the valve with a spin-out that coverts to 230 bar DIN. I wanted a HP tank with the spin-out to fill my paintball gun's tank. What is safe to fill the tank to? It will go to 3500, but can I dive with the spin-out with the full overfill? I looked at XS Scuba's site, and the pro valve is also rated at 3300psi. Is it safer to dive without the spin-out, and should I just get a DIN reg set? Can a 230 bar DIN be overfilled to 235-240 bar?

Thanks!

I dont know why they would supply you with that valve for that cylinder. If the valve is only rated to 3000 psi, then thats the pressure you fill to. You can change the burst disc on the valve, to correspond to the cylinder (thats what should have been supplied to you, in the first place!). PST cylinders come thru with yoke/din valves, and they are filled to 3442 psi (DOT does not require DIN until 3500 psi). So, therefore, if you get the correct burst disc for the valve, you could fill the cylinder up to rated pressure with the yoke/din valve (I wouldnt go all the way to 3500). However, for my Faber 3180 (3498 with 10% overfill) cylinder, I just bought a 300 bar DIN valve. Makes things easier, as all of my cylinders have DIN valves.

So you're saying if the valve is to 3000 psi then I don't even get to fill my tank to it's normal pressure of 3180! I suppose valve's can't be overfilled, which is really weird. The owner of the local dive shop said I could still fill it to 3300, or 3400, but not to 3500 or 3600 psi! He said XS Scuba would not supply a valve that wouldn't work with the tank. So what do you guys think of that? I'm really confused now. I can't believe they'd give me a 3000 psi valve with a 3500 psi tank.

In fact, I even showed the guy at the dive shop. Hey, the valve has this 3000psi sticker on it, and my tank's supposed to be 3180+ (3500), and he said not to worry (what I wrote in my last post). Is changing a burst disc hard?

medic13:
nope tank empty unscrew and screw in new one

So I have the pro valve from XS Scuba, what's the name of the part that I need now? A burst disc to 3500 psi?

oh hey, I just checked it out, and a burst disc with service pressure 3500 has rupture pressure from 4500-5000. What does this mean? 3500 is ok or what?

Like a chain, the system is only as strong as the weakest link. That means the system (tank and valve) is only rated to 3000 PSI. Until you change out the valve, and don't forget the rating of the yoke on your first stage. That is also a factor.

The burst pressure of that tank is 8000 psi and the valve is stronger than that. Change the disc to 5200 psi and feel good about it. Or, don't change it, same thing.

tfunk:
I got a 3180+ faber steel tank from my local scuba-pro store, who got it from XS Scuba. The valve is the pro valve with a 3000psi sticker on the valve with a spin-out that coverts to 230 bar DIN. I wanted a HP tank with the spin-out to fill my paintball gun's tank. What is safe to fill the tank to? It will go to 3500, but can I dive with the spin-out with the full overfill? I looked at XS Scuba's site, and the pro valve is also rated at 3300psi. Is it safer to dive without the spin-out, and should I just get a DIN reg set? Can a 230 bar DIN be overfilled to 235-240 bar?

Thanks!

pescador775:
The burst pressure of that tank is 8000 psi and the valve is stronger than that. Change the disc to 5200 psi and feel good about it. Or, don't change it, same thing.

I like that answer the best :D I suppose that's why the guy at my dive shop thinks it's ok, but doesn't recommend a 3500 fill.

I've heard bad things about overfilling, though. I couldn't imagine the burst disc failing since that's what XS Scuba shipped it with. I'll get another one when and if I move, and if the local dive shop won't fill my tank past 3000psi. Anyone had experience filling a tank past the rated valve pressure?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom