What Is Reasonable Backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So if I were to replace my air integrated Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus with an updated model, ie, another air integrated (with hose) console computer, what would be a reasonable backup system for,

a) keeping on the boat?
b) actually going into the water with me along with my air integrated (hose) console computer (primary system)?

a) its of limited value 'on the boat' as it wont have your profile. My back-up dives with me, I have a write and console version of the same computer - its not Air Integrated. Having two computers then that leads to the back-up being no less conservative, or that you dive the most conservative otherwise your back-up may lock-out.

I dive with two of the same computer. Therefore there is no confusion of which profile to dive and I only have to learn hope o use/read one computer.

Just food for thought.

Maybe an Oceanic BUD since it has an adjustable algorithm to closely match your new computer. And clips off pretty conveniently.
B.U.D. - fairly reasonable also at $199. No gas pressure though.

I see no reason to keep one on the boat either. If your primary fails you'll have to abort the dive and the backup won't have your dive history. So you'd likely want to do shallow dives the rest of that day - which you could do with borrowed/rented gauges also.

Reactions: Jax
I agree with the others in that you should carry your backup computer with you. The BUD would work if you're just looking for something to end your dive with and get through one or two more dives, but if you're doing anything more than that, I'd recommend getting a simple wrist computer. If you're staying in the Oceanic line, the Veo should fit you well for not much more than a BUD

Let's see if I understand my possible options. If I use an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 air integrated hose unit as my primary along with a BUD in the water, then if my air integrated fails during the dive, I will have to abort since I have no more PSI info. But at least the BUD will still capture my profile so I could use it for my next dive as long as I find a replacement pressure gauge, right? So for this type of backup system, in addition to a Pro Plus, I would need a BUD in the water plus a pressure gauge on the boat, right?

To dive in the water with say two Pro Plus 3s at once or one Pro Plus 3 along with a Veo would require two hoses (and the cost of two Pro Plus 3s would be too much for me).

I guess if I were to just dive with a Veo (instead of a Pro Plus 3) and a BUD, then if the Veo fails with the computer part, I would just continue diving with the BUD and the pressure gauge part of the Veo unit, right? But the Pro Plus 3 is so much nicer.

Correct, you'd have to call the dive and the BUD would capture the profile so after you replaced the computer with a SPG you could continue to dive with the BUD.

My advice would be to go with the ProPlus 3 if that's what you want and then get either a Veo 1.0 or a BUD as a backup as well as a cheap SPG and hose. The reason why I'd suggest the Veo 1.0 is because it can be wrist mounted and it's easier to use as a stand alone computer.

...The reason why I'd suggest the Veo 1.0 is because it can be wrist mounted and it's easier to use as a stand alone computer.

I have a console and wrist computer. Once I used the wrist computer I found it is just more practical to glance at. I only look at the SPG at key times in the dive, I want to be aware of understanding depth, time and NDL and I find it easier to I keep a closer eye on and the wrist computer.

Maybe consider an air-integrated wireless computer on the wrist, as primary, then a console with SPG and back-up computer, or just keep using the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus as the back-up.

So if I were to replace my air integrated Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus with an updated model, ie, another air integrated (with hose) console computer, what would be a reasonable backup system for,

a) keeping on the boat?
b) actually going into the water with me along with my air integrated (hose) console computer (primary system)?

The answer to the specific question you asked is, just in my opinon, get an inexpensive wrist computer that you take in the water with you, and a physical SPG to keep on the boat.

I would be looking at the Deep 6 computer that is supposed to be released any day now and sell for $139. If it lives up to the pre-release hype, it should work out as a GREAT backup computer. Though it may possibly be a little more conservative than an updated Oceanic. If you want something that won't be more conservative than an Oceanic console, you should definitely consider a Veo or Geo or any Oceanic model that offers the DSAT algorithm.

You can get an assembled SPG w/hose, ready to attach to your first stage from here, for around $75.

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) and Instrument Consoles | Dive Gear Express®

Keep it on the boat. If your console dies, you end the dive, get back on the boat, replace the console with the SPG and continue diving with just your wrist computer and the SPG.

Or replace the old console with 2 wrist computers and an SPG.... 2 of the Deep 6 computer should be less than 1 new console....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom