What is Ratio Deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By having a flexible system, you can have a plan, and then easily move a bit deeper, shallower, shorter, or longer without issue. This is where RD really shines.

I love flexibility in a system. How do you apply RD for 300-400ft dives?

:sarcasm: intended, especially wrt flexilbe system. I know, I just cant stop myself sometimes......

the point being it falls apart quickly.
as to GUE, they're not teaching RD for dives in the range you're talking about.

I've never been taught RD as GUE keeps it private, I can only guess at what I can reconstruct from many sources.

I would imagine that RD would have to fall apart somewhere. The shallow depths present very long allowable times and the deeper depths present problems with their extremely small no-deco times. So the deco pattern has to be pulled in different directions at either end. Hard to model with a simple equation or ratio.

So what depth range is considered the "sweet spot" for RD?

I've never been taught RD as GUE keeps it private, I can only guess at what I can reconstruct from many sources.

I would imagine that RD would have to fall apart somewhere. The shallow depths present very long allowable times and the deeper depths present problems with their extremely small no-deco times. So the deco pattern has to be pulled in different directions at either end. Hard to model with a simple equation or ratio.

So what depth range is considered the "sweet spot" for RD?

well they dont keep it private. they teach it to anyone who takes the classes....
sweet spot for gue's two versions of RD are about the 30 minute bottom time range, within the depth ranges their classes certify you to dive to

Here's a link to AG's original RD article:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=145714&d=1359167814

Now where & how does the method "fall apart" especially beyond 90m range? Objective examples please. . .

[Getting ready for Nagano Maru wreck at 54m ave for 50min; wonderful 30deg C sunny morning & water temp here today in Truk Lagoon, but heavy weather forecast for this coming weekend -so last dives of a 5 week trip today. . .]

Plug the numbers into your deco software of choice and fiddle with it till it doesn't line up. It certainly diverges from 30/85 at around 40mins at 300ft (to the tune of about a half hour of o2 time).

For shorter BTs, it works fine. For longer stuff, not so much.

Plug the numbers into your deco software of choice and fiddle with it till it doesn't line up. It certainly diverges from 30/85 at around 40mins at 300ft (to the tune of about a half hour of o2 time).

For shorter BTs, it works fine. For longer stuff, not so much.

that's just your software breaking down. RD is correct

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom