What is killing my pickup's starters...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of things covered but also load test the battery.
A battery that is borderline can cause these problems as can poor electrical connections.

A diagnostic scope with a current probe can check the starter draw and battery voltage at the same time and point out possible problems in an instant.

Just one more note
There is a difference between a starter that is purchased from a dealer (Ford/Chevy etc) than one that is purchased from the local parts house ... both may have lifetime warranty's, but the one from the LPH fails much more often and may have to be replaced monthly
I have replaced starters, and generators because the owner is tired of the hassle of going back to get another one from the local guys
I get this from time to time at the dealership I work for

scubajoe:
Don,
There is an easy fix. Sell it if you can find a buyer, if not donate to the Kidney Foundation. Then go and buy yourself a Chevy!

Joe
wait wait...so you want him to replace one piece of crap...with a bigger piece of crap?

I am confused.

After reading all the posts to date, most all possabilities have been covered. Could you be a bit more specific as to what is/was happening? Does it just make a quick repetitive clicking sound? or a grinding sound? or simply nothing? Or have you found a distinct answer for the problem already?

How about a sick sound....? :D

Nah, probably more of a grinding sound when it's close to failing again.

grinding has to be a ring gear problem. Does the truck have a manual sometimes the engine gets used to stopping in the same place, and you get wera in the ring gear. if you have a standard transmission try turning it off with the truck still slightly in gear, by slipping the clutch as you turn it off, to force the engine to stop elsewhere on the ring gear. se if that doesn't help. if it does, then it is a ring gear no doubt about it.

diverrick:
grinding has to be a ring gear problem. Does the truck have a manual sometimes the engine gets used to stopping in the same place, and you get wera in the ring gear. if you have a standard transmission try turning it off with the truck still slightly in gear, by slipping the clutch as you turn it off, to force the engine to stop elsewhere on the ring gear. se if that doesn't help. if it does, then it is a ring gear no doubt about it.
Yep, teeth worn on ring gear or flywheel, although improper clearence of the starter gear to flywheel can cause this, also bent starter mounting bolts can too

DB

Don, it sounds like the ring gear needs to be replaced as well as the starter. That would be just the ring on a manual transmission and the entire flexplate on an automatic. BTW, Fords are known for cracking of the flexplate and creating horrendous noised.

BTW, it is a Auto trans with overdrive. I'm printing all this out along with some PMs for my mechainic. Thanks folks. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom