what is in your console rec/tech divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep the Zoop.
Nail the console to a tree to attract small song birds.
Its amazing how much that lump of rubber can weigh.

Right now I've got a Cressi 3 console, SPD on one side, Depth and a worthless compass that you have to hold dead level to read, off just a tiny bit and it's no longer free moving. I'm a recreational diver, but I'm going to be cleaning it up in the near future however. I'm planning just a SPG clipped, with my Mares Puck on right wrist, Compass on left. Right now I've got a good compass on a small slate, and I can bungee mount that it looks.

I suspect the console will go up on Ebay, or maybe SB Classifieds.

Steve

As you can see, there is a strong preference here for putting one's gauges on the wrist. There are a couple of advantages to doing so: You can see them constantly, if you keep your hands out in front of you, and you don't have a large, bulky console to secure somewhere. However, using a wrist gauge means either not using air integration, or purchasing a fairly expensive (and sometimes temperamental) transmitter to send the information from the first stage to your computer. In addition, divers using wrist gauges have to keep TRACK of them -- it's slightly more difficult to lose your entire regulator setup, with console attached!

I personally have never found air integration to offer enough to me to make me want to spend any additional money to get it. My husband uses a Vytec I bought a long time ago (because the numbers were bigger) and when he inherited it, he did buy the transmitter for it. It syncs most of the time. He likes not having to look at his SPG, although he does still carry one.

Safety-wise, it doesn't matter where you put your gauges, so long as you consult them regularly. Budget-wise, remote AI is quite expensive. AI is more expensive than a simple wrist gauge and an analogue SPG, but that combination will tell you everything you need to know in the water.

Re having a console and technical diving. I'm not really a "tech diver" -- I like caves. And I use a console (well, sort of) in that I have a Suunto Cobra that I use instead of the brass and glass SPG. I've had "comments" about my Cobra instead of the brass and glass SPG -- OTOH, because the Cobra has smooth sides, I've never had it snag the line -- unlike "some" of my buddies who use a brass and glass SPG.

cool thank you to all, it does seem that the way forward is obvious. I will see if I can tract down one of the OMS gauges, in the meantime my local shop does have the bar/psi scubapro gauge that is similar but a smaller face. I was also strongly think about the petrel as it may complete my needs with the zoop as back up. I am suprised there are not more dive programs/cases for the iphone, it is after all quite a powerful little computer/phone.
Thanks again

Somehow the thought of putting my phone in a case, and trusting that case as I immerse it, and making sure the phone stays dry at the end of the dive when it comes out of the dripping case, strikes me as something I'll never do. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom