what is in your console rec/tech divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a_skiller

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So my current diving is easy wreck and reef diving open circuit and will remain that way 80% of the time, Carribean and Pacific.
I am looking tho to the future and doing more tech/wreck/photo stuff especially places like truk lagoon.
I have a zoop but see a lot of divers progressing towards options like the petrel. I like the air integrated idea but it seems in practice the tech i'snt quite stable enough. (from what I read on forums/reviews anyways)
I have done nitrox but not regular at the moment but will do more in the future. My console at the moment just has an old compass and pressure gauge.
What recommendations are out there?
1. keep it analogue and just get new gauges?, compass. (would love a bar/psi as I constantly travel)
or 2. do most tech/wreck/cave people put a computer in the console, any recommendations?
number 1. priority is safety, 2. is budget.
thanks in advance for the advice.

I think it's safe to say that, regardless of whether you're a computer tech diver or a BT and cut tables tech diver, you're generally putting the instruments on your wrists/arms and not in a console. SPG goes on a hose that's just long enough to clip off somewhere unobtrusive and it usually stays there unless you have enough stuff in the way to need to unclip it. Compass? Arm. Computer or BT? Arm.

I agree. The only thing for me that is on the end of the hose that would normally have a console is the SPG. It has a bolt snap attached to the hose so that I can clip it to a D-ring and not have it dangling.

I have a zoop but see a lot of divers progressing towards options like the petrel. I like the air integrated idea but it seems in practice the tech i'snt quite stable enough. (from what I read on forums/reviews anyways)
I have done nitrox but not regular at the moment but will do more in the future. My console at the moment just has an old compass and pressure gauge.
What recommendations are out there?
Take your current SPG and secure it with a bolt snap like John mentioned. Then take your compass and put it in bungee mount from Deep Sea Supply. Might as well buy one for the Zoop while your ordering, that Sunnto band is going to break eventually.

I dumped the console years ago. Just a naked SPG with a bolt-snap on the end of the hose. I don't use or trust AI. Compass is on my lest wrist next to my watch, my computer is on my right wrist.

Very few, if any, technical divers are using consoles.

Naked brass & glass SPG tied with a cave-knot to bolt-snap. Everything else on the arms.

As others have said every a simple SPG with a bolt snap and computer/BT on wrist is the way to go.

If your just doing simple rec. dive use what works for you though. If you thinking of getting into "tec" diving you will find yourself moving to the wrist mount stuff with a simple SPG soon enough.

Consoles are so 80s.

AI, sorry, no thanks, I will pass on that foolishness.

N

Consoles are so 80s.
N
Agreed. My console has a digital bottom timer, SPG, mechanical depth gauge and compass. All purchased in the 80's. Have never gotten around to "streamlining" it just yet.

I also wear a wrist computer with a backup computer (or 2) stuffed in my bcd pocket. No Ai.

simple brass and glass spg with bolt snap on a 24 inch (i think) hose. xen on right wrist, compass on left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom