What is happening with my Mares Nemo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomsonza

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If there is anyone from Mares that can help me out here that would be great!

On the 6 Dec 2010 I contacted our local Mares dealer in South Africa with the following description of the problem I had with my computer:
"Last Saturday I had a student on an advanced course with me and I wasn't paying too much attention to my dive computer. By the end of the dive when I needed to check the dive time and depth, the watch was frozen, displaying a dive time of 3 min and a depth of around 6.5m (of which the depth is probably accurate for where we were diving). Our actual dive time was about 22 min, and I know the computer was working half way through the dive as I checked it for depth. I didn't think too much of it and I rinsed the computer and left it alone. Later when I went to check my dive logs I only had 1 log, although the watch showed that there were 50 odd logs on it. Yesterday (Sunday) I had to use the computer again for a deep dive. Being unsure of the computer I backed it up with my dive tables. I ended up using the dive table times instead of the computer although the computer seemed reasonably accurate. After the dive I noticed that it had overwritten the previous log. "

I couriered it up to them and I received a reply from them on 31 Jan with the following:
"- 1 Computer Nemo Titanium s/n 009310 (Sean Thompson); damaged glass and strap to change, electric test ok.
Substitution of glass, setting and test Substitution of complete strap"

Firstly, I never sent the watch in for the strap and the glass, I sent it in for the computer being faulty. I will admit that the strap would need to be replaced eventually and it would be nice to have a spare but it is not necessary to replace as yet. I queries their response to electronics being OK and this is what I got:

"please find below our technical dept results:
Computer Nemo Titanium s/n 009310 (Sean Thompson):
Electric problem was solved by our laboratory's intervention. There were logbook diving memory and reset problems, as said solved. That's why they indicated that electric test was ok.
As far as glass is concerned, they confirm that glass change is unavoidable as the glass is damaged and this could cause water infiltration in the future.
So MARES cannot guarantee the reparation without glass substitution."

When I sent the computer in it had surface scratches on the glass, nothing that would remotely cause water infiltration. I sent another mail asking whether the glass was just scratched or if it was cracked and that if it was cracked it was more that likely due to the couriering of the computer (which I did insure). I need to know if this is the case and if not why and how standard scratches, as you would get on any watch, would cause water infiltration.

The cost breakdown I was sent, which had been roughly converted is as follows:
Glass: R450
Strap: R260
Freight back to SA: R450

I also do not understand the freight back to SA cost?? Is it normal to charge the customer for freight back to your local Mares distributor?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Although I have been working through our local Mares distributor, responses have been incredibly slow (weeks between responses) and I really would just like to speak to someone that can help me directly.

It is incredibly inconvenient to have to teach and guide without a computer and I am now having to consider buying another computer as it is taking way to long to get this one sorted out.

Please, please, please, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I had exactely the same problem twice, computer changed twice for new computer.
I aslo suspect that it is the way the computer react when memory full, both situation happens in same condition, around 40 dives logged...
The second one,I used it aforaround 10 dives after the problem and it was working fine again but still it has been changed after...
I have now the 3rd one and I will see how it will work...

Hey Angel_diver_biker, Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it looks as if I won't be as lucky as you. Mares has decided that the electronics in my computer are "ok". Good to know that I'm not the only one with the problem though.

I hope your third one is lucky :wink:

Hi, really sorry to hijack your thread but just out of interest... when you use the light function for your nemo excel, do you get a dark mark appearing at the bottom of the screen?

Hope you get your problem fixed.

Cheers.

This is normal and where the infared sensor is for the download kit.

Enjoy,

Zak

Back
Top Bottom