What IS engine braking anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
I believe those were DCOFs (downdraft). Side drafts were found more on the imports and the downdrafts were used primarily on v-8s and v-6es. This was not a hard and fast rule, but the plumbing was far easier.

My dad used to build these little Opels that had 1900cc engines to start with and they ended up being stroked, having 265 Chevy pistons, dual side draft Webber carbs and ended up developing around 250 HP. For a car that weighed about 1800#s with a driver and gas, it moved!

Blitz:
My dad used to build these little Opels that had 1900cc engines to start with and they ended up being stroked, having 265 Chevy pistons, dual side draft Webber carbs and ended up developing around 250 HP. For a car that weighed about 1800#s with a driver and gas, it moved!
Sound like a lot of fun. BTW: Nice web site.

All I own is a stick. My cars, pickups, heavy truck, all stick.

I ALWAYS down shift my cars, my brakes last about 60,000 miles plus and in 100,000 miles on one vehicle and 45,000 miles on the second I have yet to change a clutch.

I laugh at the kids these days, winding up to 3-4,000 RPM on every start and dumping the clutch left and right. Thats going to be $$$ soon.

I also never use the clutch in my heavy unless its a dead stop. But those I'm stupid's don't have syncro's.

NetDoc:
BTW, what did the PCV valve replace and what ELSE had to be fitted to engines to make them work?
Replaced the road draft tube, and they needed an opening in the valve cover to let in, the air that they sucked out
fppf:
I ALWAYS down shift my cars, my brakes last about 60,000 miles plus and in 100,000 miles on one vehicle and 45,000 miles on the second I have yet to change a clutch.

I laugh at the kids these days, winding up to 3-4,000 RPM on every start and dumping the clutch left and right. Thats going to be $$$ soon.
yep, blip the throttle and snick it into the next lower gear, not blipping just wears the clutch in the other direction ... 184,000 miles on my clutch before replacement , 2nd set of brakes installed, and I even "heal & toe" too :D
... my "sports car"? a 1989 4X4, 350 V8, 5 speed, 1/2 ton truck :D and It's not just a street truck ether, very well used off road, complete with the dents to proove it ... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/DonBeary/Drive/?action=view&current=DBs_Truck.jpg

If you want to see something amaizing ... to see "Heal & Toe raised to an art form, look at the in car pedal camera footage of Hans-Joachim Stuck in his BMW , dancing on the pedals ... It's beautiful

D_B:
Replaced the road draft tube, and they needed an opening in the valve cover to let in, the air that they sucked outyep,
Crankcase drip tube where the blow by used to go! And yes, they added a ventilated oil cap to allow the PCV to ventilate the crankcase and not suck more blowby than it had to.

I can still remember the days of opening up a pre-pcv engine and the STANK it had: especially if they had run Pennsylvania oils in their crankcase. The smell of parrafin was almost over powering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom