What IS engine braking anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Can I wax long and loud about the dumbing down of mechanic certifications now a days? :D I did my 30 years from 1969 until 1999, saw the advent of the first anti-polution device (can anyone guess what that was?), the first electronic ignitions and of course, the computers that have rotted the mechanic's brains. If you want to tune an old Brittish car equipped with SU or Stromberg carbs, you need to go no further than my garage. However, my computer diagnostics don't go beyond 1998 (OBD II).

BTW, I do not miss being an automotive technician.

PCV then EGR valves. SU and Stromjunks were not as fun as the 2 3 barrel webers. Just try and explain to someone what an emulsion tube was for!! Try that in Google!
Then you should also remember setting the dwell on a c4 system carburetor!

Dave

Reactions: D_B
How about the 2.8 litre GerFoMoCo engine with the plastic timing gears? There were a few American cars who did that with a timing chain (GM????) and they could also self destruct, but nothing hit the fan like an early model Capri when they goosed it a tad too much or power braked. Speaking of easy, the Saab 900 and the Datsun 510 had to be the easiest clutches to replace. I doubt that I spent a half hour on either.

Teamcasa:
PCV then EGR valves. SU and Stromjunks were not as fun as the 2 3 barrel webers. Just try and explain to someone what an emulsion tube was for!! Try that in Google!
Then you should also remember setting the dwell on a c4 system carburetor!

Dave
I can't count how many side draft (DCOE) and down draft Webers I installed. I still have a collection of emulsion tubes, main jets and idle jets for the 32/36 dg/f series carbs that were cheap replacements for so many imports. I still have my snychro adapters for all of them as well as the manometers and flow meters to do the job.

BTW, what did the PCV valve replace and what ELSE had to be fitted to engines to make them work?

Wana have fun? Adust (dare I say tune?) four dual-throat side-draft Webbers on x-over manifolds on a 289.

Teamcasa:
We are not going so far back in time that we will cover Arden or Mill-Offy’s are we?

Does Offy refer to the Offenhauser engines like they used to run at Indy?

Thalassamania:
Wana have fun? Adust (dare I say tune?) four dual-throat side-draft Webbers on x-over manifolds on a 289.
I believe those were DCOFs (downdraft). Side drafts were found more on the imports and the downdrafts were used primarily on v-8s and v-6es. This was not a hard and fast rule, but the plumbing was far easier.

meekal:
WOW - i KNEW the good folks that patrol this (wonderful) board would know and i figured that i'd put it in the CAVE section since a lot of folks that patrol here have also seen the sign and might have asked a buddy or two what it meant.

thanks folks!

I think it's cute that you'd never seen one of those signs before, they are in most of the towns where I live. You've heard the sound you just didn't know what it was called :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

ScubaTexan:
Does Offy refer to the Offenhauser engines like they used to run at Indy?
Offenhauser was famous for their manifolds, blowers and turbos. They made a dual plenum manifold for the progressive carburetors that was really hot for it's time. I had one on my 81 Toy truck with the 22R engine, Weber 32/36 dge carb and a cam that was slightly profiled by a cam company out of Jacksonvill... Schooler???

NetDoc:
I believe those were DCOFs (downdraft). Side drafts were found more on the imports and the downdrafts were used primarily on v-8s and v-6es. This was not a hard and fast rule, but the plumbing was far easier.
Trust me, they were sidedrafts, I put them on myself. Four separate manifolds, each to two cylinders and reaching across the engine so the carb sat flat just over the valve cover (stupid) on the oposite side of the engine. This replaced the 4bbl. I should have gone for two 4bbls instead.

driftin' by:
What I don't understand is that if engine breaking isn't allowed in certain areas because of the noise then why aren't loud *****, obnoxious motorcycles not allowed also!?!?!

Cuz motorcycle riders, vroommmmm vroommmmmm, have bigger, better, & more well paid lobbyists than truckers.......maybe......

Back
Top Bottom