What is Bonaire Like If You Already Dove on Curaçao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy the double reef sites because they break up the monotony of the more typical sites, not because the reef itself has stuff to look at that is not found elsewhere. It's just something to do to mix it up a bit. Like Salt Pier is something to do. Like the Hilma Hooker wreck is something to do. Some people in my group like Salt Pier, others don't like it so much, but everyone likes the idea of including these dives in the mix for variety.

I found the lushest growth at more southern and northern sites; down south Sweet Dreams and I think Red Beryl; up north Karpata gets a lot of notice. If you head up to Karpata, be aware you commit to a one way road, so before you get there, stop & use a tank to dive Tolo, which is a good all-around dive site.

Mainstream west coast Bonaire diving tends to be warm, minimal current (it can happen), high viz. (maybe 75-100 feet?), sloping wall diving. Entry/Exit often over/through iron shore, and you can't see the bottom well in surge so step carefully and use fairly thick-soled boots. Brain corals, sponges, gorgonians, a good range of growth I think.

Life-wise, a lot of smaller stuff; trumpet fish, smooth trunk fish, honeycomb cowfish, schools of French grunts, small groups of school masters, solitary blue-striped grunts, some black durgon, black-bar soldier fish, yellow snapper, yellow-striped goat fish, a school of blue chromis...that's the sort of thing I might see on a typical dive. While people say not much big stuff, you may see tarpon (especially on night dives), green moray eels, cubera snapper, barracuda, green or hawksbill sea turtles and occasionally tiger groups (about the only large grouper I see there, and they were skittish) and eagle or southern (I think) stingrays.

What I miss vs. other destinations are other large grouper (e.g.: black, yellow-fin, Nassau) and sharks.

Richard.

P.S.: Yeah, Salt Pier is also a distinctive site.

Yes, that was why I posted this inquiry, as much of what I found in my research on Bonaire emphasized the island's topside logistics and its "diving freedom" culture, more so than the actual marine environment itself, which is more important to me.

What are the features of the far northern and far southern dive sites that distinguish them from the ones in the middle? Do those distinctive features make them more or less challenging and/or more or less worthwhile/enjoyable?

I found the diving in Bonaire much more diverse than I anticipated it to be based on all of the reports I had read prior to my first trip. There are some outstanding vertical walls at the northern dive sites (La Dania's Leap, Karpata and further north up to Nukove). Outstanding and huge towering hard corals. There are a few unmarked dive sites after the petroleum plant and prior to Nukove that are awesome- Candy Land in particular.
Oil Slick Leap, which is north of The Cliff dive site is also a more vertical wall than sloping and one of my favorite dive sites with easy entry and exit.
The dive sites in the Slagbaai Park, which are the furthest north are yet different and distinct again, with good chances of seeing Bait Balls and larger fish and Eagle Rays. I particularly like Boka Wayaka I and II.
When I think of the "middle" dive sites, I tend to think of the sites between Bari Reef on the north end down toward The Lake and Hilma Hooker on the southern end. These sites are different again from the northern sites and sites further south. More sloping reefs and a good mixture of typical caribbean sea life.
The southern sites south of Hilma Hooker are much more soft coral and garden like. Very lush. I particularly like Pink Beach and then as you get to the "Deep South" around Red Slave it is different again. Given what are in my mind the differences and distinctions between the Far North, North, Middle, South and Deep South; not to mention the Hooker Wreck and Salt Pier- there is much more variety than one thinks and that is without throwing in any East Side diving, which is truly outstanding. Either via shore with Bas Tol or via boat with Bonaire East Coast Diving - Unforgettable Scuba Dive Vacation Adventure -- Lastly, a couple of boat dives over on Klein Boniare will add some more variety. Here is a map of my last trip there. Lots of dives on Bari Reef, as it was my house reef while staying at Den Laman Condos. Headed back again in 2 months and The Cliff will be my house reef.
upload_2017-6-22_10-36-52.png

Last edited:
I enjoy the double reef system as well but seldom venture out to it.
Most of my dive trips to Bonaire include "new" divers and I had just as soon
not add that to their task loading. Sure, they can probably handle it, but I would prefer to find that out on someone elses watch.

I found the diving in Bonaire much more diverse than I anticipated it to be based on all of the reports I had read prior to my first trip. . . .

I agree with your descriptions. I think I like to tell people who ask about it that the sites are "more alike than they are different" to avoid setting anyone's expectations too high. I find it hard to toe the line between overstating and understating the variation among Bonaire dive sites. Suffice it to say, I love Bonaire.

We like The Cliff, too. Been staying at Hamlet the last couple of trips.

One thing that's different is shore entries. ISTR Curacao (west) entries as mostly nice sandy beaches whereas Boanire is... mostly not.

I Lots of dives on Bari Reef, as it was my house reef while staying at Den Laman Condos.
View attachment 415250

As luck would have it, I am staying at Den Laman, and I will probably do a few night dives at Bari Reef. How did you like Bari Reef and Den Laman? I heard good things about both.

As luck would have it, I am staying at Den Laman, and I will probably do a few night dives at Bari Reef. How did you like Bari Reef and Den Laman? I heard good things about both.
Big fan of Den Laman and I would stay there again, but I have a larger group of guys this trip and we decided to rent a 5 bedroom villa on the water in front of The Cliff dive site and adjacent to the Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis shop and fill station. Bari Reef is easy and convenient for entry and exit. Giant stride off the pier and walk up the ladder to exit. Pier is only accessible to Den Laman and now to Sand Dollar residents. Nice rinse tanks and shower at the pier. The reef is great going north. Going south is pretty dead. Great for night dives and dawn dives. Top of the reef is quite close to the pier and entry. I did notice a fair amount of current in the mornings for some reason and it was consistent every morning. Not so strong to be a real bother, but you want to take notice, as the current moves south to north, and since you only want to dive that reef going north, you will be going with the current from the start and you may not even realize you are in a current until you turn around and then it is going to take you much longer to get back to the exit point. Was there in early May of last year. The restaurant at Den Laman isn't owned by the hotel, but another owner and the dinners are outstanding. It is a very good restaurant. We ate there 2 nights and were very pleased. Not so much a fan of the breakfast however and when I go back in the future, I will not pay for that daily add-on. Condo kitchens are very well equipped. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean front condo with balcony on the 2nd floor. Great sunset views.

My 2 cents in no particular order - Northern sites seem like more hard coral and (perhaps) a wee bit fewer fish - though still a lot, Southern sites more soft coral and more fish. Double reef at some southern sites. Farther southern sites have ridge and channel. Very far north & south posibility of strong current.

Southern sites more likely to see spotted eagle ray and sting rays. More reef squid at northern sites. Everywhere the usual suspects in abundance. Some southern sites need to dive early because kite boarders show up about 10 am and it gets dangerous.

Some sites with easy entry - Yellow Submarine (Dive Friends Bonaire downtown), Tori's Reef (south), Windsock (near the airport). Cliff is a very nice dive.

The only place I've consistantly seen a bluespotted coronetfish is diving to the north of Windsock where the fuel pier is. Entry to the left of the supports. Easy entry over sand and a nice site with lots of fish. At either La Machaca or Buddy's Reef (forget which) at the drop off along the rope there is often a large (not huge) tiger grouper hovering just off the bottom.

I'm going back for my 7th week Oct 28 - Nov 4. I can't wait. This time I'm staying at Hamlet Oasis (Cliff) and plan on doing a lot of dives there. My club is going that time period as well and staying at Buddy Dive Resort.

My body is wearing out and this might be my final diving trip so I'm going to try and make the most of it. I've already picked out some must do dives, probable dives, and almost definite snorkels (for example 1000 steps and Karpata) that I'm too worn out to carry equipment to.

Karl's or Carel's vision may be one of the best sites on the island. I think it is only by boat. It is north. Not on most maps. Only place I recall diving on Bon with spur and groove coral formations and wall like. If this might be your last trip, I would include it on a list of must dives if you have not hit it before. If interested I'll double check my old log books to confirm I have this right.

Back
Top Bottom