What is an AL 50 worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am talking right now to this guy who is selling an al 50. he is asking $40 for it and it is out of hydro. i would be using this as a deco bottle so i will need to have it O2 cleaned as well. is $40 a decent deal or should i offer him less?
thanks

decent deal...... you can't complain.....

Out of hydro? How old? What alloy? What valve? Without this info it could be the best deal or it could suck.

That's too much money for a AL50 that's out of hydro. I'd offer half that and be prepared to walk. The dimentions and capacity make it not a very useful tank. Unless it's a great deal, I would pass completely.

That tank is also about the worst choice for a deco or stage bottle. It's too fat and too short. I certainly wouldn't waste money getting it O2 cleaned because Nitrox in a 50 is a waste of time.

It depends in part on the cost of the hydro test.

I agree an AL 50 is to short and sqatty to be easily slung. I'd spend $150 on a new AL 40 before I went the AL 50 route as it would prevent having to dive with a tank that is a pain to use.

well thank you for the advice everyone. he ended up selling it to someone else so i guess i dont have to worry about it anymore. that is interesting though that an AL 50 is so much more of a pain than an AL 40, i wouldnt have thought that.

Well, I am wondering if you guys have actually used AL50....

Short: It is about 19cf sized tank.
Fat: It is about steel 72cf diameter.

So, in the same context, 19cf and 72cf will be the worst choices..:confused:

I don't notice any issue once I slung it on the side.

Just my 2 bar....

I never liked an Alum tank. I had one back in the 70's and sold it. Now a good old steel 72....priceless! :) Tim

I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Again be ware of pre 1990ish luxfer (and other) tanks due to the alloy issue and needing the new Hydro + Eddy test. I have a 50 cu ft tank and enjoy using it for assorted relatively short shallow dives, it is much less cumbersome than an Al 80. Great for use in swimming pools and other similar places as it allows you to sit down, etc. I will probably use mine this weekend when I go diving to look for a lost water pump at my uncles lake house in 20-25 feet of water. Kind in mind that new AL50's have a price premuim over Al80's, as they are not a general purpose tank.

Back
Top Bottom