What is an "advanced" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because I am sitting in the backyard - having a cocktail and wishing I was diving. Advanced diver is is one who will continue to dive because they love diving. Regardless of location or circumstance - those who love to dive will find a way. Regardless of those who may judge based on equipment or style - if you enjoy diving - advanced has no meaning.

I have advanced diver certification. Does it mean I am an advanced diver? Absolutely not. I dive solo in no more than 40' of water. I would not dream of doing solo at depths advanced certification allows at this current time. I honestly don't think certification levels really mean anything until you reach tech status and/or have a boat load of dives under your belt. I am a new diver and will never let my C-Card write a check my skill level can't cash. There's some neat stuff down there. Cant see it if your dead.

Matt

Mine says "Advanced SCUBA Diver". NAUI, 1974

My brother has one of those. I assume you did a lot more in the course than they do nowadays?

My brother has one of those. I assume you did a lot more in the course than they do nowadays?

The course ran from the fall of 1972 until may 1974. The class was very heavy on all aspects of diving/ theory. We did a lot of work underwater (salvage) including under the ice. DiveMaster training was also done (NAUI did not have a separate cert. for DM). Also heavy emphasis on equipment/ regulator repair, and lots other.
We made over 100 dives during the class to depths of 150ft

The course ran from the fall of 1972 until may 1974. The class was very heavy on all aspects of diving/ theory. We did a lot of work underwater (salvage) including under the ice. DiveMaster training was also done (NAUI did not have a separate cert. for DM). Also heavy emphasis on equipment/ regulator repair, and lots other.
We made over 100 dives during the class to depths of 150ft

Yeah I figured. It would be nice if the present courses had at least some equipment repair. When I did my music degree we learned tons of stuff but not how to repair a beinner's clarinet which may have doubled as a baseball bat.

I have a card that designates me an "Advanced Open Water Diver"...all that did for me was give me a license to start using the skills I learned in a class. 200+ dives later I'm still learning new things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom