What is a rebreather>>>>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WXEL has a special on right now....from the concept on assisted suicide they are discussing, training a person in a closed circuit rebreather could have you classified as an "Exit Guide", as they have found that the most painless way for a person to euthanize themself is by breathing pure helium ..which many of us know has happened to many quite famous rebreather divers, this causing their death. So technically, a rebreather could be a tool of the Final Exit Network.
I am half joking and half serious....I don't personally like rebreather use except for very special circumstances....and this would apparently be one :)

http://www.finalexitnetwork.org/ ( no, I am not making this up!!! )
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ce4139ae-d635-4030-ac92-a7b7d6fab09d

WXEL has a special on right now....from the concept on assisted suicide they are discussing, training a person in a closed circuit rebreather could have you classified as an "Exit Guide", as they have found that the most painless way for a person to euthanize themself is by breathing pure helium ..which many of us know has happened to many quite famous rebreather divers, this causing their death. So technically, a rebreather could be a tool of the Final Exit Network.
I am half joking and half serious....I don't personally like rebreather use except for very special circumstances....and this would apparently be one :)

http://www.finalexitnetwork.org/ ( no, I am not making this up!!! )
Helium in an 'exit bag' new choice for suicide

Well at least you've cleared up the age old question "what is an idiot"
Now back to rebreathers....

Well at least you've cleared up the age old question "what is an idiot"
Now back to rebreathers....
Wow. I am being called an idiot by an Exit Guide.....Somehow I find this amusing :)

You need a little sense of humour.

I think the "high ground" for you would be to say that any "sport/activity" that takes people off of the couch and TV, and out into the world, will increase their chances of an accident and death.

From the perspective of a tech diver that has done many hundreds of 280-300 foot dives in very challenging conditions, I find there is a great deal of "extra risk" associated with the CCR's, and I see few divers that dive in an environment where Open Circuit could not allow the same dive to be enjoyed with far more safety...Duration tending to be the prime advantage, but typically, once duration exceeds what can be done on open circuit, the charter boat will be refusing the extra time--it will mean too much additional deco, and a total change of the charter boat schedule for the day....From a tech diving perspective, doubling or tripling your in-water deco will mean eliminating your ability to handle a buddy emergency, if someone gets hurt, and you need to get out of the water as soon as possible.

I see rebreather divers visiting Palm Beach on a fairly regular basis....they get no real benefit that I can see, but enormous costs, and huge increases in their chance of a hypoxic event, from what they would have on OC ( chance = none on OC :) )

The OP asked for information on what a rebreather is....he got plenty of reasons for them, but he also should get all the reasons against them, if he is really going to be able to make an intelligent choice as to whether the "Risk to Reward" benefit is worth moving to a rebreather for the style of diving he does, and the dive sites and diver operators he will be using.

The OP asked for information on what a rebreather is....he got plenty of reasons for them, but he also should get all the reasons against them, if he is really going to be able to make an intelligent choice as to whether the "Risk to Reward" benefit is worth moving to a rebreather for the style of diving he does, and the dive sites and diver operators he will be using.

I few years back I lost a friends who was diving inside a wreck on OC. Had be been on CCR he would likely be with us now as he would have had enough time to solve his issue but alas that was not the case.
Nothing in this world is black or white.

Back
Top Bottom