What is a great first stage for diving two Scubapro 109s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got some fully serviced 109s and I am diving with a late model mk5 but I want to figure out a permanent great first stage to continue to dive with.
You already have a permanent great 1st stage. I have MK5s, 10s, 15s, and 25s, and the MK5s are my favorite. But they all work fine. There is no difference at all in perceivable performance. The MK5s go year after year without creeping, it's really pretty remarkable. Same for the MK15s. The MK10s and 25s seem to need rebuilding a little more frequently.

If you're diving in super cold water, like under 40F, then you'd want a sealed 1st stage. A good option for that would be a sealed MK10 if you can find one (I have a pair) or the MK17/19.

You already have a permanent great 1st stage. I have MK5s, 10s, 15s, and 25s, and the MK5s are my favorite. But they all work fine. There is no difference at all in perceivable performance. The MK5s go year after year without creeping, it's really pretty remarkable. Same for the MK15s. The MK10s and 25s seem to need rebuilding a little more frequently.

If you're diving in super cold water, like under 40F, then you'd want a sealed 1st stage. A good option for that would be a sealed MK10 if you can find one (I have a pair) or the MK17/19.
I found a brand new never used MK10. I am grabbing that and a MK25 and I have a MK5 too

I'm a big mix and match fan, I'd be pairing them with a Conshelf 21 first stage myself, in fact have done just that. Two very simple, very reliable stages. I do so like the aesthetic. Im not big on piston regs.

The Scubapro 109 is a pretty regulator but it is choked down with a small exhaust valve. Exhaust effort is just as important as inhalation effort in the breathing cycle. The CE approved BA 156 has the larger 30mm valve compared to the 26mm in the 109. You think the 4mm is not much, it is a big difference. But the 109s are pretty.

Excluding perhaps some of the D series and the AL Legend is no slouch nor the Apeks, a G250 will hang with about anything. It has a tough 30% glass filled resin body, the large 30mm exhaust valve and the VIVA control the 109 and 156 lack. Scubapro claims it is the most copied regulator, if it is not, it should be. Is the G260 equal to the G250, yes since it really is a G250 with Micro-Adjust but for some reason the G250 exhaust effort is measurably slightly less. The difference is minimal, insignificant IMO. The adjustment knob on the G250 and the 109/156 is prone to getting bent, the G260 is better in that regard, less vulnerable to damage. Regulators, particularly second stages are vulnerable to being damaged, drug on the deck, tanks set down on them, all of that fun stuff. I try to clip them off but you know, I forget or get involved in some sort of scuba mayhem and you know, excrement happens. I hate that.

The Mk V has essentially one moving part, the piston with integral knife edge, and a lower parts count than later SP piston firsts. I think it can be placed on the same level of reliability as the unbalanced Mk II. And compared to the Mk X, the ambient holes are large enough to actually rinse the first stage ambient chamber out. The "Conshelf" type diaphragm first stage is a solid unit but not on par with the Mk V for reliability. It is just chocked full of little bits and pieces whereas the Mk V is simply chocked full of goodness.

The Scubapro 109 is a pretty regulator but it is choked down with a small exhaust valve. Exhaust effort is just as important as inhalation effort in the breathing cycle. The CE approved BA 156 has the larger 30mm valve compared to the 26mm in the 109. You think the 4mm is not much, it is a big difference. But the 109s are pretty.

Excluding perhaps some of the D series and the AL Legend is no slouch nor the Apeks, a G250 will hang with about anything. It has a tough 30% glass filled resin body, the large 30mm exhaust valve and the VIVA control the 109 and 156 lack. Scubapro claims it is the most copied regulator, if it is not, it should be. Is the G260 equal to the G250, yes since it really is a G250 with Micro-Adjust but for some reason the G250 exhaust effort is measurably slightly less. The difference is minimal, insignificant IMO. The adjustment knob on the G250 and the 109/156 is prone to getting bent, the G260 is better in that regard, less vulnerable to damage. Regulators, particularly second stages are vulnerable to being damaged, drug on the deck, tanks set down on them, all of that fun stuff. I try to clip them off but you know, I forget or get involved in some sort of scuba mayhem and you know, excrement happens. I hate that.

The Mk V has essentially one moving part, the piston with integral knife edge, and a lower parts count than later SP piston firsts. I think it can be placed on the same level of reliability as the unbalanced Mk II. And compared to the Mk X, the ambient holes are large enough to actually rinse the first stage ambient chamber out. The "Conshelf" type diaphragm first stage is a solid unit but not on par with the Mk V for reliability. It is just chocked full of little bits and pieces whereas the Mk V is simply chocked full of goodness.
I drill out the ambient holes on my MK5’s,
and I do a really nice job. I had a pristine earlier MK 5 that had larger ambient holes but it only had 4 LP ports and lacked the 5th port coming off the end. I gave it to a friend.

I drill out the ambient holes on my MK5’s,
and I do a really nice job. I had a pristine earlier MK 5 that had larger ambient holes but it only had 4 LP ports and lacked the 5th port coming off the end. I gave it to a friend.

Most of my small fleet of Mk Vs are actually clones that are 99% parts compatible (Tekna and Oceanic) but have better chrome and a stainless steel large bore turret bolt and including fitment of a Scubapro A-clamp. They do not have the "high flow" top port and I do not care because for single tank rigging I put the turret up and find that the hoses route better in total than when I use one of my MK 20s with the fifth port down and angled.

Back
Top Bottom