What is a "float line" for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw it on an online retailer website that will remain un-named. I thought maybe it was for granny lines but it's black whic doesn't make much sense.

For attaching the diver down float or buoy.

I've seen a couple of different products described as "float lines" but obviously intended for different uses; one for trailing along behind a diver (drifting or spearfishing for example) towing a bag or other surface marker, kayak, or some other surface flotation; and another for paying out a surface line so that a diver carried away from the boat might find the line on the surface and keep from being carried even farther away.

Dont know why it is black though. Yellow is usually a good colour for such lines.

I'd think black is a lousy color for just about any kind of line you might use in the water. If it's hard to see you can't find it even if you're looking for it, and you (or maybe somebody else) is more likely to mishandle and get tangled up in it if they can't see where it is and where it's going.

Stirling:
I'd think black is a lousy color for just about any kind of line you might use in the water. If it's hard to see you can't find it even if you're looking for it, and you (or maybe somebody else) is more likely to mishandle and get tangled up in it if they can't see where it is and where it's going.

Which is why I was so confused. I figured it would be for trailing behind the boat but black lines are [impossible] to see in the water.

Anyhow - just curious - thanks for responding.

Some free divers who are spearfishing will use float lines attached one end to their speargun the other to a little float. If you get something big you can drop the gun and you can hold on to the line as the fish tires out and you can go get some air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom