What is a "batwing gusset"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The Pinnacle Arctic is a 7/5 wetsuit with the Merino lining. It has something called a 'batwing gusset', which is located near? with? over? under? the main zipper.

I can't see a good picture of it, but the text says it folds up like a fan and becomes the spinepad.

Does anyone have this wetsuit or know exactly what it is? I'd consider buying one but the LDS doesn't have one in stock.

basically it means that as the rear zip zips down-ward, there is a thin flap of neoprene behind it that opens out as the unzipped zipper parts open.

Think of a zip on a pair of jeans, but someone stitched a piece of fabric behind the zip, so when you unzipped the fly, you couldnt actually complete the task of peeing, unless you dropped your jeans to the floor below your knees. This is what is on a batwing style zip, its a thin neoprene membrane that sits in behind the zipper to help keep water "movement" into/out of the zip to a minimum. Look at paragon or oceanic semi-dry wetsuits if you can, they have this same zip, cause they're all made in the same factory/factories in china.

I did try to find a picture but there was nothing clear...the suit is black, the gusset is black, can't tell where one starts and the other stops, know what I mean.

But you confirmed what I though. Now I need to figure out how easy it would be to get in and out of. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom