What in the heck is this silver thing??!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a local Facebook page:

OP: "This was recovered on a dive in Lake Washington. I was useing the Garrett Seahunter Mark II. We believe that the straight piece is silver. Any ideas as to what this is???"

FYI, Lake Washington is adjacent to Seattle :)

Well....what the heck is this thing??! :)
View attachment 597852 View attachment 597853 View attachment 597854

It would help a great deal if there was a ruler included in the photos, alongside the object.

My guess -- it's a fairly recent (<10 years) piece, in a faux-art-deco/faux-victorian style. Perhaps a Renn-faire-ish semi-functional flute/necklace. I'm basing this on complete BS & conjecture, plus the observations that:

• the hand-hammered ring doesn't show much rust
  • the silver piece doesn't show much wear -- if it was very old, I'd expect more of the engraving detail to be worn smooth
  • the typeface & monogram & decorative work do not seem to be consistent in terms of style & period
  • the hand-hammered ring & polished flute do not seem to be consistent in terms of style & period
Maybe a bosun's whistle?

Maybe the date represents the date the ship was launched?

It would help a great deal if there was a ruler included in the photos, alongside the object.

My guess -- it's a fairly recent (<10 years) piece, in a faux-art-deco/faux-victorian style. Perhaps a Renn-faire-ish semi-functional flute/necklace. I'm basing this on complete BS & conjecture, plus the observations that:

• the hand-hammered ring doesn't show much rust
  • the silver piece doesn't show much wear -- if it was very old, I'd expect more of the engraving detail to be worn smooth
  • the typeface & monogram & decorative work do not seem to be consistent in terms of style & period
  • the hand-hammered ring & polished flute do not seem to be consistent in terms of style & period
Maybe a bosun's whistle?

Maybe the date represents the date the ship was launched?
Where you found it will have big impact on its condition and what it might be. If it was in mud, there would be low oxygen and it could be quite old with light corrosion.

DON’T CLEAN IT! Removing the the patina on antiques can ruin their value. If you are worried about it degrading from being out in the air (this is a real concern) call a local museum or preservationist.

It’s size and where you found it would be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom