What Hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently bought a semi-dry suit. (Wetsuit with seals in the ankles, wrists and neck.) I was wondering what kind of a hood would work best. Most of my diving is in Idaho and most of the water is snow melt. That means cold. I have seen a hood by Harvey's that was designed to work with their semi suit in that it had the slick side out on the neck. I have also seen some dry suit hoods that have their own neck seals. How do these work and would they work with a semi-dry? Any guidance would be great.

thanks

I have the Mares Semi-Dry and use a bibbed Mares hood with it. Seems to work well. I think any bibbed hood would work fine. If you have a neck seal like my Mares, then you may not even need a bibbed hood, I just got one for a little extra protection I guess. Another option is the hooded vest which would provide some extra warmth in the chest area as well.

I hope this helps,
Chris

My favorite hood is one from LeisurePro-Dacor dry suit model that was 5 BUCKS!!!!!! and that's what I really like about it.

I also have a Harvey's hood that has a very tight neck on it and this allows no water to seep in-it was $43.00 but it was bought at the LDS.

Just like the wetsuit, the most important factor is that it fits. I also like the ones with the holes in them that let out any trapped air from your bubbles (but you can always add them yourself with a soldering iron and a patch over it)

I have a Scubapro Scotia semi dry with a matching hood. The neck seal has two collars so the hood fits between them. It's a good system, better IMHO than the Mares Isotherm system.

I went with Harvey's hooded vest. Mine is 3 mm so under my 3 mm scubapro 1 pc, I get both a hood and a 6 mm torso coverage,

Good for my colder dives (which are not that cold). I guess that in summer I will use it without the suit.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom