What has changed in the Scuba industry in the last 10-15 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What has changed in the Scuba industry in the last 10-15 years?

An over-dependence upon electronics, comes to mind, especially within the previous decade; though, perhaps in direct response to that tenuous combination of electronics, rubber bands, and seawater, I have now seen far more pieces of analogue equipment on divers who also carry transmitters -- a bit encouraging, in my view . . .

Can not beat a computer for fun as a tool to extend your ease at diving when you're outside square profiles
every dive

Remember you don't have to spend the entire dive fiddling with them, just know and understand what they
are doing

I was certified in '05. One change was PADI e-learning instead of paper manuals & classroom nights. Yes, I have used my split fins all that time....

Technical diving and cave diving are more popular than ever, thanks in large part to increased availability of training. When I joined ScubaBoard in 2006, these were tiny niches in diving that I had never heard of, practiced by oddballs who got trained with agencies I had never heard of. Now they're bigger niches, and can be practiced by just about anyone who gets the proper training. :wink:

The bickering on SB is the same. But I think this is a new emoji: :catfight:

I first dived between 1970 and 1980, and then restarted again in 1997. I only do no stop and light deco diving. Seems to me many more dramatic changes between the first and second period than since that time. After 1980 a second regulator and no more buddy breathing, everyone has a SPG, no J-valves, everyone has a BC, dive computers, nitrox,,, Since 1997, widespread AI, solo cert, all those nice liveaboards, minor equipment changes with improvements and variation. Since you dived in 2008, not that much dramatic change, easy restart.

Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom