what GPS do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive got a Magellan Sportrack and its amazingly accurate and easy to use. Gets me right on top of a wreck in the middle of miles of open water! whatever you get make sure it is WASS enabled.

I have the E-Trex Legend. It's easy to use, very full-featured, can be upgraded on line and has a good computer interface. (On that subject, if you choose to use a computer for mapping / charting - try !Gartrip software - you can load a JPG / BMP file of a map and then relate your waypoints to it - or pick up new ones).

I have been using my Legend to record divesites with no problems at all - it helps that it's easy to use one-handed

I finally killed my Garmin 12XL after five years of faithful service.

I'm now shopping for a similar Garmin unit with WAAS.

Don Burke once bubbled...
I finally killed my Garmin 12XL after five years of faithful service.

I'm now shopping for a similar Garmin unit with WAAS.

Hello,

I would go with the garmin gps map 76S as a replacment. You can't go with with that unit.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled... I would go with the garmin gps map 76S as a replacment. You can't go with with that unit.

Hi Ed,

I just visited the Garmin site and it looks like the only difference between the GPS76 and the GPSMAP76S is more memory, an altimeter, and a compass. I don't really need any of that and the MSRP difference is about $200.

Is there something I am missing?

Don Burke once bubbled...

Hi Ed,

I just visited the Garmin site and it looks like the only difference between the GPS76 and the GPSMAP76S is more memory, an altimeter, and a compass. I don't really need any of that and the MSRP difference is about $200.

Is there something I am missing?

Hello,

with the map 76s you can download bluecharts/metroguide/topo/etc maps to the unit. with the plain 76 you can not. this alone is worth the difference.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled... with the map 76s you can download bluecharts/metroguide/topo/etc maps to the unit. with the plain 76 you can not. this alone is worth the difference.
Thanks, Ed.

I've got to have the paper charts aboard when carrying passengers for hire anyway, so the digital maps and charts aren't worth it to me.

If it wasn't for the display, I'd be looking at the GPS 72.

I like the Garmin products. I had the GPS III Plus. I then replaced it with the GPS V (more memory, turn-by-turn directions, better display). I then replaced that with a Garmin GPSMap 196. LOTS more memory (I have 128MB), larger display, works in both land and aviation mode. I'm a pilot so this GPS does everything for me now. Turn by turn routing for the car, WAAS, the kitchen sink. Very, very nice. You just need to decide which features you like and find a model that fits your needs.

I use my GPS for hunting, hiking, driving and flying. The 196 is the cat's meow. If I didn't fly the GPS V would be my choice for what I need it for.

Niether of these models is cheap but like all things in life - you get what you pay for.

Forgot to mention-

Garmin's cartography software (maps) are among the best. It's really nice being able to download DETAILED maps to my GPS to use for both flying and driving. I also have the topo maps for hiking and hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom