What gifts to bring from USA to PI dive staff on boats/resorts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We're coming from Seattle USA down to Cebu and Dauin for 2 weeks of diving on a liveaboard boat and the Atmosphere Resort.

When traveling world wide, typically the best gift to bring for your divemasters and resort staff is cold hard USA dollars for tips, but sometimes there are items that they have a hard time or simply can't buy finding local.

In the past, we've brought churches and childrens orphanages basic medical supplies like bandaids, anti-biotics, prescription eye glasses, and fun things like balloons, sticker/coloring books, and school supplies.

For Adults, we have left them things like brand new dive masks, chocolate covered espresso coffee beans from Seattle, and other special tools like digital electrical volt-meters, which they just can't get at the local market.

Any Ideas for the PI's? It's our first trip there, so what would put a big beaming smile on their face (small and light weight for airplane baggage space too!) and appreciated and needed by the Cebu/Dauin Philippine general worker/helper that make our trip special, that is simply not obtainable at the local stores or market down there?

We always bring lots of tip money in small bills, but what about a couple of unique gift ideas for people who really went out of their way to make our trip special and memorable? :D

thanks!

Filipinos might call this 'Pasalubong'. It's a Tagalog word for goodies, presents or keepsakes. Normally it is in reference to gifts brought to loved ones when returning to the Philippines, but it can apply to souvenirs and gifts brought from abroad and given to new friends.

This page gives some ideas: Gifts for Christmas from the USA.

Also this article in the Washington Post: Money Is Not Enough at Christmas (washingtonpost.com)

Spam is a popular food gift. I've never worked out why - but tinned meat is one of the main things sent back to the Philippines when people go to work overseas. Chocolate and other foods stuffs is popular too. You can get that stuff here, but that doesn't matter to most Filipinos.

There's a big tradition of Filipinos who work abroad sending parcels and gifts back to their families. They call it Balikbayan. The 'cultural value' of the items is almost as important as the economic value.

Clothes and toys are also highly appreciated. Souvenir items from the USA are highly prized... anything that is obviously 'imported' and has a connection with the USA. An 'I love NY' t-shirt, baseball cap etc... Stuff has a big value here if it is manufactured in the USA or Europe.

Costume jewellery and watches are also highly prized. Again..especially if those goods are branded or manufactured in the USA.

Stationary is a good option for kids. Again... selecting your gifts to ensure that they are 'Made in the USA' adds a lot of perceived value. They will be treasured.

Toys... these will be hugely valued.

If luggage space and weight is at a premium, you can always buy extra stuff when you get here. The boatmen will be really appreciative of food gifts. The ones I work with normally go straight out and buy food (rice, fish and tinned meat) when they get tips. Of course, money is a prime attraction - especially near holiday seasons where they have to buy presents for their family and/or if they have medical bills to pay for another family member.

I gave up this idea long time ago!!!!
It is NOT fair to them as well as to yourself!!!!
Who are you going to give? DM, boatman, waitress/waiter, and how about the cooks, compressor man, tank boys etc etc?
The list is..........
If you decide to put some money in the tip box then you better find out if the money will be distributed evenly among ALL the staff. You might find out the dm and the boatman are "outsider" ie they are NOT member of the crew therefore receive nothing from the tip box.

I don't usually but I have a couple of places I repeat visit I'll pick up a carton of cigarettes (almost everyone from boat crew to dive owners smoke over there) and the girls always ask whether I brought them chocolate - I always forget. Both are easy to get in the islands and cheap. I am at the limit when I pack and it's just me. If I were with a big group it would be different.

When traveling world wide, typically the best gift to bring for your divemasters and resort staff is cold hard USA dollars for tips
Okay, I guess, if you can't bring Swiss Francs or Singapore Dollars.
:wink:

Hi, I don't know if you have seen these bracelets from Kiwat. I had never heard of this jeweler but while in Belize, I saw a woman trade one. The bracelets price is kind of steep ( $100 ) but every dollar for it goes directly to clean water in the world. I have bought two and have traded one in Curacao with Sunshine at Sol Food and the other one is ready for PNG. I may have to buy another one for me to keep.
Here is the link if you want to see it.....
Engagement Rings - Wedding Rings - Fine Diamond Jewelry | Kwiat
( Honest, I don't normally try to get people to buy stuff but this is really a nice gift )

Hi, I don't know if you have seen these bracelets from Kiwat. I had never heard of this jeweler but while in Belize, I saw a woman trade one. The bracelets price is kind of steep ( $100 ) but every dollar for it goes directly to clean water in the world. I have bought two and have traded one in Curacao with Sunshine at Sol Food and the other one is ready for PNG. I may have to buy another one for me to keep.
Here is the link if you want to see it.....
Engagement Rings - Wedding Rings - Fine Diamond Jewelry | Kwiat
( Honest, I don't normally try to get people to buy stuff but this is really a nice gift )

What planet do you live on? Did you even read the OP's post?

You can do a lot of good with $100.. especially when visiting 3rd world countries. Buying a diamond bracelet ain't one of them... :shakehead:

While any gift given to the boatmen and DM's are usally greatly appreciated, I think that in-expensive "polarized" sun glasses, ball caps good for blocking the sun are sure bets.

nice post. the filipinos i know love gifts especially if they are from the USA. Chocolate is always a hit, buy a big box of 48 snickers to share with the staff. Clothing, shoes new or used is always appreciated. They like name brands. I bought 3 Aeris masks in a closeout that sell for $79 for $25. I intend on making them gifts. The nice thing about gifts is they could get something they wouldn't buy on there own and will treasure it. Of course cash is always good they have to pay bills and most filipinos live on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom