What gear were you required to buy for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Wondering accessories you were required to buy for AOW? Mine lists a DSMB, slate/pencil, flashlight. Did you use everything?

Some shops will rent this equipment, just depends on where you are getting training. In my case I had to buy it all. I also purchased my compass at that time, we used loaners for OW that were not available for AOW due to another OW class. I use all of it still today, the slate not as much but definitely the flashlight and subsequent backup light, DSMB, and compass, they go on every dive. Have replaced all of it at least once and looks like I might need another compass. So, they do get used.

as said : borrowing is perfectly fine.
some place will be a bit pushy to sell gear but borrowing is fine.

personally, when doing an AOW i consider this kind of equipment as part of what the instructor/ dive shop provides for the course

I bought a primary light and compass. My dive buddy who did his AOW after me, just borrowed my primary light and compass. We owned DSMB's because we do drift dives that require them.

The compass is pretty much like a snorkel and stays on a shelf and not brought with me diving. I've never used a slate.

A nut & Bolt................Seriously, I'm not kidding. Others will tell you why.

i did padi aow many years ago. didnt have to buy anything. the instructor provide everything.

looks like I might need another compass. So, they do get used.

personally, when doing an AOW i consider this kind of equipment as part of what the instructor/ dive shop provides for the course

I would have hoped that you as an instructor would appreciate students turning up as divers, having already purchased and learnt those items with you now able to concentrate on teaching them finer advanced points

The compass is pretty much like a snorkel and stays on a shelf and not brought with me diving.

I wonder, what type of diving is that, thanks

I was using a rented regulator with a console, so the only item I bought for AOW was an underwater flashlight. But I'd already bought one anyway...

99-002-445-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Back
Top Bottom