What gear do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I might be going to NC in mid August for a few days. I have AOW now but I was wondering if diving air with AL80s is considered bad form on these boats? (I may be getting a nitrox cert but perhaps not in time for this trip). I would be going alone and I do not want to go there and p*ss someone off or have people refuse to buddy with me on the boat. I would only be going to the shallower wrecks like the Indra. thanks!

junko:
Hello,

I might be going to NC in mid August for a few days. I have AOW now but I was wondering if diving air with AL80s is considered bad form on these boats? (I may be getting a nitrox cert but perhaps not in time for this trip). I would be going alone and I do not want to go there and p*ss someone off or have people refuse to buddy with me on the boat. I would only be going to the shallower wrecks like the Indra. thanks!

ok, looks like your going to Morehead City and not Wrightsville Beach.
I wouldn't worry about it, the boats running out of Morehead are a pretty good size, there should be plenty of air divers onboard to buddy up with, especially if your only running out to the shallower wrecks.

i've never had a problem diving air. looking around the boats, i've seen that most of the time its about a 50/50 split between the air and nitrox divers.

and with an 80, depending on where your diving, i've seen that most people run out of airtime before they even get close to their NDL for air or nitrox. 80 cubic feet is still 80 cubic feet and lasts just as long.

Thanks Bradford--that is good news. I may end up renting something larger than an AL80 (or if I own by then).

BradfordNC:
ok, looks like your going to Morehead City and not Wrightsville Beach.
I wouldn't worry about it, the boats running out of Morehead are a pretty good size, there should be plenty of air divers onboard to buddy up with, especially if your only running out to the shallower wrecks.

i've never had a problem diving air. looking around the boats, i've seen that most of the time its about a 50/50 split between the air and nitrox divers.

and with an 80, depending on where your diving, i've seen that most people run out of airtime before they even get close to their NDL for air or nitrox. 80 cubic feet is still 80 cubic feet and lasts just as long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom