What fishes are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemo1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I was diving this month and although I looked up in many fishbooks and on the Internet, I still can't figure out the name of following three fishes:
The white one
The one in the middle (red-white-grey and the one on the left side of it, red-black, not the yellow one)
If it helps: Both pictures were taken on the Philippines.
Okay, update - now URL-post until I've made 5 posts - link will follow, then...

I really would appreciate any help - thank you

Okay: Here the two links:
Zippyshare.com - Foto2.jpg
Zippyshare.com - Foto1.jpg

Thank you!

file.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
downloadScaledImage

Leaf scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus).

downloadScaledImage

Red-white-grey = Forsten's parrotfish (Scarus forsteni, initial phase).

The one on the left side of it, red-black = Ember parrotfish (Scarus rubroviolaceus, initial phase), I think...

Thank you for your answers.
I googled the Ember Parrotfish and it appears to me that the fish on the picture is another:
Fotoreiseberichte.de - Seychellen - Nasenhöcker-Papageifisch (Ember Parrotfish, Scarus rubroviolaceus, Weibchen)
Although the female fishes are red (like in the link), it doesn't really look like the one on the picture, or am I wrong? The one I'm looking for is also more "blue-ish"...

The FishBase page below shows some of the colours of the Ember Parrotfish (Scarus rubroviolaceus).

Thumbnails Summary

I thought the colour variation below was a possible match.

Scrub_u2.jpg

Oh, cool - incredible, how different they can look like within their own species - thank you very much - that really seems to be the fish on the picture.

Many fish have many colors at different stages in their lives... and others just change color on the fly. I once watched a grouper go from light grey to black to spotted to everything in between as he was swimming along, changing his color with the background! Here is a short clip of a Glasseye Snapper going from dark rust-red to white in a few seconds :)
Enjoy...
Rick

Very nice. I knew that some fishes can change their form as they become an adult or change color but not in such a short time...Thank you for the clip.

Nemo1... glad you got your answers. As a marine biologist, I'd like to suggest that it's usually a good idea to identify in the thread subject where the fish were seen (you did in your post). It makes it easier for us to judge if we might be able to help you without having to look at the thread first.

Glad Vie was there to give you the answers!

Hi Drbill - oh, okay. I'm still new here and I oriented myself by the other thread subjects and since a lot didn't write the "location", I also took a pass on it...But as you've said: It's logical and I will remember it for the next time.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom