What equipments should I buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hi members,

Yesterday was my second scuba class. :) I just learn that my class doesn't include 5 OW needed to be certified. I have to do 5 OW next semester (summer) and have to have my own diving gear. Since I'll have to use my own gear, I want to start buying some basic equipment little by little. I've got about 3 months before the OW class start. What should I buy first? This is what I'm thinking:

(1) goggle, snorkel
(2) fin, boots
(3) BC, regulator
(4) wet suit (I live in Chicago area, i guess I should get a 5mm one, right?)
(5) tank (do I need to have my own tank? It's kind of heavy. Can I just rent it?).

Is it a right order? Did I miss anything?

Should I buy online or local shop (I usually buy things online to get great price). If you know a good online retail, please advice.

Happy diving to you all! :-D
patrick

well thats weird when i did my OW they had all my stuff included only thing i had to buy was goggles fins boots gloves and snorkel but they had the bc, reg, wetsuit and tank ready for us. I buy sometimes from local shop but i deal alot out of town. I just orderd a OMS comfort harness and SS Backplate my ls would not bring it in so i had to order out of vancouver. I say call around to the near shops they always ship out and then you can talk 2 and see what fits your scuba needs.

You may have to have the basic equipment like a mask, snorkel and fins but they should be supplying the rest. I would phone and check. If they want you to buy equipment first, I would be taking the classes from someone else.

ppatrick:
I have to do 5 OW next semester (summer) and have to have my own diving gear. Since I'll have to use my own gear, I want to start buying some basic equipment little by little.
patrick

Unless you have unlimited assets and can afford to replace everything that you later decide isn't really what you wanted, you need to rent for a while IMO.

My biggest mistake was to rush out and start buying stuff after certification and now that I'm a seasoned 25 dives guy :wink: I wish I could trade most of it in on different stuff. I've had to learn to be happy with what I have which I suppose isn't all bad, but if I had it all to do over again I would have rented for a while.

Rent your stuff, get certified and get involved with diving for a while. It's hard to get the right stuff for you before you know what you're doing.

Welcome to the club--you're gonna love it.

Start with the basics;
1. Mask. Buy local. Make sure it fits/test in the water if possible. Out of the water simply place on your face without the strap on and inhale slightly through your nose creating a vacuum-then stop inhaling. It should stay on your face for at least 5 seconds. Buy a low volume mask made with black silicone compound. Black may not be fashionable but Black assists your eyes to see better by not allowing light in except via the glass. Your pupils don't constrict as much-you see better w/less headaches. Personally, I'd stay away from multiple lences-three glass masks.
2. Bootys- Buy local. Again, try them on. Make sure they feel comfortable. If you'll be walking with them on get a pair with semi-hard soles. If your diving colder water(below 70 dF) I'd use 5-7 mm. Make sure they have zippers and are high tops-as compared to low cut. Mine are about 8" high. Get a pair with a fin strap clet-very important.
3. Gloves- Buy local. Make sure they fit! Don't settles for too large or too small just because your LDS has nothing else. Don't get them with zippers-I like the 'gauntlet' style in 5mm. Don't be afraid to buy custom-see wetsuit below.
4. Snorkle- Stay simple. No need for gagets, ball floats, etc. Don't get a snorkling snorkle, get a diving snorkle-there is a difference. Try to get one w/o a built on retainer-it will break. Get a simple 'double loop' type retainer. I like a snorkle that has a flexible hose attached to the mouth piece-it swings outta the way when I'm on SCUBA.
5. Fins- Compare prices on-line(ebay) vs. LDS. Try them on with your booties on! The fit should be snug, not loose/not tight. Look at Apollo bio fin, Tusa split fin, Scuba pro Split jet fins. Again don't settle for old fin technology. Stay away from add-ons like spring straps for now-KIS.
6. Wetsuit- This will be in my humble opinion your most important piece of equipment for beginners. Usually, those new to diving use the rental suits. Don't do it!! They will never fit and will never be comfortable and you will never be warm and you will quit diving with the mistakin belief all scuba is uncomfortable and cold. My advice-go custom fit all the way. The cost is comparable to many off the shelf suits. I use Aquaflite (aquaflite.com), but, simply do a google search or ask your LDS. Trust me on this one. Again, cold water means 7mm with hood(5mm). Consider a 7mm Fullsuit with a 5mm hooded vest. I dive southern cali, which ranges from 58-66 d. using a custom 5mm semi-dry fullsuit with a 5mm step in hooded jacket.

The rest of your gear I'd rx renting UNTIL you are more familiar with diving. Your see alot of gear out there, so don't be shy..ask. Please be aware of not buying all kinds of gear right away-overcome that temptation. Take your time and look around.

M

Buy mask, fins, snorkel, booties, gloves if you have to. Definitely don't rush to buy a BC or reg. You don't really know until you have gone through the class if you are going to like it and have no problems and it seems like you will continue. And until you have done at least that it's hard to know what you want in a BC. This can be hard to buy over the net because fit is important. A reg you could probably research and make a pretty good selection, but still better to wait. There are pros and cons to buying local vs. internet and many discussions about them on this board. Many have to do with warrenties and service.

If you were taking class through a shop often they include rental gear for OW in the class price, or they may charge separately but still usually a pretty good deal. Sounds like you are doing this through school. I assume there is no dive club? There are clubs at some schools that have cheap arrangements for gear but that probably would have been mentioned. If you tell them at the shop that you are renting for a class at school maybe they will give you a good deal. In hopes of getting later business of course.

It's hard to get a mask that fits without trying it on, definitely best to get locally. Try on your mask with a reg or snorkel in your mouth - it can change the shape of your face enough to make a difference. Otherwise what seems fine in the shop might leak in the water when you have a reg in your mouth. Black silicone vs clear is a matter of preference, I prefer clear myself.

Read about the pros and cons of splits vs. paddle fins and see if you can try them both first.

A wetsuit might be a good thing to get, I don't know what water temp you will be diving in or how cold you tend to get but I'm guessing around Chicage is more than 5mm, or maybe layers. If the shop where you rent has suits that fit you it might not be bad to rent, but it's true often they don't and you will be much happier in something that fits. Don't automatically dismiss off the rack, just try different brands and you may very well find something that fits you great. But it's true custom can be had for not too much more if fit is a problem.

Tanks are definitely a thing to rent at this point.

I really love this board! Many experienced divers help answering newbie's questions. :-D Thank you everyone for detail answers. For now I'll be buying only goggle, fins, bootie, glove, wet suit, and snorkel (I didn't even know there is a snorkeling snorkel and scuba snorkel, thanks TacticalTJ) and wait until... maybe next year to buy BC and regulator.

Thanks again,
Patrick

To HarryWhisman, thanks for welcome me the club. Yup I think I'm gonna love it :->

I went to the LDS today and did some browsing. The shop owner recommended me a dry snorkel that has some mechanism to prevent water from coming in. So inside of the snorkel will always dry. Is this what you called dive snorkel? He also convinced me to get a split fin instead of a normal fin. He said that it would take much less effort to kick. Is it true? The price of the split fin is almost 3 times of the normal fin! Is it really worthy? Should I stick with the traditional fin or the split fin?

Thanks,
Patrick

ppatrick:
I went to the LDS today and did some browsing. The shop owner recommended me a dry snorkel that has some mechanism to prevent water from coming in. So inside of the snorkel will always dry. Is this what you called dive snorkel? He also convinced me to get a split fin instead of a normal fin. He said that it would take much less effort to kick. Is it true? The price of the split fin is almost 3 times of the normal fin! Is it really worthy? Should I stick with the traditional fin or the split fin?

Thanks,
Patrick
Compare prices online. I like my splits, but 3 times is too much.

Might want to check the math first. The gear is free in class, but once you start diving the charges add up. Tank rentals and fills (can't get out of that one), along with gear rental can be costly. My point is, if you plan to wait for 25 dives before buying equipment, how much are going to be spending? Might be enough to make purchasing the cheaper alternative, as you at least have a tangable investment made, even if you decide not to keep the equipment. The chances of not liking a name brand regulator to the point of retiring it is pretty slim...get my drift? So check the rental prices per day and see what is more cost effective. In your area renting may be the better way to go.

Back
Top Bottom