What drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Hcklo just found @Cheizz's thread which probably has all your questions answered.

Do you mean that for my budget Wich is similar to Cheizz, I should go for the model that he took ?

If possible, try to rent several different manufacturers suits to see which one fits your needs and comfort the best. Dry suit courses, depending on the quality of the instructor, most likely will be of benefit.

If it helps, the slides (206 slides, ~18 meg) from my dry suit course are at

Remember the purpose of the dry suit is to keep the insulation dry, so understanding various underwear types and the process of thermal loss will assist your decisions.

It is likely that if you dive under different water temperatures and work load, that several different underwear sets will be of value.

Like most things in life, time spent spent researching (gaining information), will pay long term rewards.
Amazing information thank you a lot I just had a look of the slates and it is exactly what I needed than you !

Another vote for Seaskin. I highly recommend a pee-valve. Having to get mostly out of a drysuit to pee is a nuisance. Not mention being properly hydrated is better for you in terms of dcs safety.

Do you mean that for my budget Wich is similar to Cheizz, I should go for the model that he took ?
It was a relevant post for your questions.

Drysuits do come in different qualities. Cheap is perfectly good enough to begin with; only when you're moving on to another drysuit might you consider a top-of-the-range version.

That one looked pretty good in the pictures.

Another vote for Seaskin. I highly recommend a pee-valve. Having to get mostly out of a drysuit to pee is a nuisance. Not mention being properly hydrated is better for you in terms of dcs safety.
Would you recommend trilam or neoprene ?

Would you recommend trilam or neoprene ?
A quick search should bring up lots of posts on this subject.

Neoprene - slightly better underwater (more insulation, more streamlined and maybe more durable)
Trilam - slightly better on surface (easier to don, more comfortable on warm days).

I have used neoprene, crushed neoprene and trilam suits, and am sticking with Trilam. Front entry trilam are easy to get on and off, they dry quickly, and you can use them in warmer water. I don't notice the slightly less insulation or streamlining in a trilam. With neoprene socks I can wash and dry my trilam suit inside and out, compared to trying to dry the inside of a neprene drysuit with fixed boots.

On top of the brands mentioned by Ontwreakdiver diver do look at German company scubaforce

Try to get a custom fit. Most drysuits are similar in build, regardless of the maker - so I would see which manufacturer has a representative near you who can help measure you up.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
Rohan.

Hello fellow Swiss diver!

I did my drysuit course last December in Zürich and rented a suit and undergarment from the shop. I did this because I wanted to get a better idea of what type of undergarment I would need and general conditions in Lake Zürich. I then placed an order with seaskin, which by the way should arrive in about 2 or 3 weeks. I can let you know how much the suit ends up costing (import costs and taxes).

The problem as you may know is that while Switzerland is in Europe, it's not really Europe. We don't get the same benefits in terms of EU shipping and are much more restricted in terms of product availability. Also people here have completely unrealistic expectations in terms of second hand products (eg. Asking price is 5% less than brand new) and the used drysuits that come up are often more expensive than a brand new seaskin.

In general, for Central European lake diving you'll likely want a trilam drysuit and thick undergarments.

Where in Switzerland are you?

A quick search should bring up lots of posts on this subject.

Neoprene - slightly better underwater (more insulation, more streamlined and maybe more durable)
Trilam - slightly better on surface (easier to don, more comfortable on warm days).

I have used neoprene, crushed neoprene and trilam suits, and am sticking with Trilam. Front entry trilam are easy to get on and off, they dry quickly, and you can use them in warmer water. I don't notice the slightly less insulation or streamlining in a trilam. With neoprene socks I can wash and dry my trilam suit inside and out, compared to trying to dry the inside of a neprene drysuit with fixed boots.

On top of the brands mentioned by Ontwreakdiver diver do look at German company scubaforce

Try to get a custom fit. Most drysuits are similar in build, regardless of the maker - so I would see which manufacturer has a representative near you who can help measure you up.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
Rohan.
Hey, thanks for your input and advices. I take note about the trilam vs neopren.

About the socks, I suppose that if you go for the socks option you just have to add a shoe pair. Does this shoe needs to be specific or special or whatever shoe (wet shoe for instance) could work ?

Hey, thanks for your input and advices. I take note about the trilam vs neopren.

About the socks, I suppose that if you go for the socks option you just have to add a shoe pair. Does this shoe needs to be specific or special or whatever shoe (wet shoe for instance) could work ?
Wet shoe can work well or just about any shoe that will fit on your foot and in your fin. Once you know how much insulation you’ll use then you can see what shoe you’ll need.

Socks v. Boots

Benefits of socks:
  • Keeps a dirty boot out of your drybag. For example walking back in mud or sand, the boot will pick up grit. That is taken off and put in another bag whilst the drysuit's rolled up without the dirt.
  • Drysuit can be turned inside out for drying -- one day the suit will flood.
  • Rock boots can be changed; maybe you need Wellington boots for caving. Maybe thicker socks for cold diving; thinner or no socks for warm water.
  • As rockboots are tight on your feet, air doesn't migrate into the boot.
  • Boots fit better
Drawbacks:
  • Don't forget your rockboots.

Personally I don't like drysuits with integral boots as they are never tight enough and your foot can slip out of the boot whilst diving (happened to me). Lots of gas migrates to the integral boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom