What drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And also a bit concern about not being able to use silicone seals with harness.
I don't know why cheiz said that. Some of my buddies and I dive silicone neck seal and SM rigs. Why this would be a problem, I don't know.

As as a piece of general advice. When people tell you something, ask if they have actually done it or if they just heard something from somewhere.

I don't know why cheiz said that. Some of my buddies and I dive silicone neck seal and SM rigs. Why this would be a problem, I don't know.

As as a piece of general advice. When people tell you something, ask if they have actually done it or if they just heard something from somewhere.
I didn't say you can't use silicone neck seals with sidemount harnesses. I said It would be wise to check/measure.
In most sidemount harnesses, the point where the shoulder straps come together on the back is much narrower than with a normal backplate used for backmount diving. The shoulder straps on sidemount rigs are much closer to your neck than shoulder straps on backmount rigs.

It would be a shame to invest quite a bit of money in a suit that would have that problem. And to answer your check question: yes, I have seen people struggling with neck seal rings and sidemount harnesses. Even putting their nice suits up for sale and getting another suit (or at least another type of neck seal) because of it.

As a general suggestion: ask someone a question to clarify or to gather info on his/her experience with it rather than to just assume (s)he's talking BS because you've never heard of it.

Yes, of course, but it makes no sense. Wibble's got some weird theories. I've had at least 4 crush neos and dumping air from those is no different than dumping from a trilam suit.
The main difference is neoprene tends to grip you more than a trilam which doesn't have much/any stretch.

I do, I also usually suppose that If someone says something and no one in the forum oppose those claimings that means that there is a status quo about it. My message was a polite/subtle way to ask: hey guys, is there a status quo about this question ?

I didn't say you can't use silicone neck seals with sidemount harnesses. I said It would be wise to check/measure.
In most sidemount harnesses, the point where the shoulder straps come together on the back is much narrower than with a normal backplate used for backmount diving. The shoulder straps on sidemount rigs are much closer to your neck than shoulder straps on backmount rigs.

It would be a shame to invest quite a bit of money in a suit that would have that problem. And to answer your check question: yes, I have seen people struggling with neck seal rings and sidemount harnesses. Even putting their nice suits up for sale and getting another suit (or at least another type of neck seal) because of it.

I understand from the placement of the pieces that the hitting from the junction of the shoulder strap and the silicone could damage the silicone. I understood the message, unfortunately it is very hard for me to try a seaskin based in UK with my razor configuration.. should I create another topic to have feedback from people having razor + seaskin + silicone seals ?

Thanks for your input though

I understand from the placement of the pieces that the hitting from the junction of the shoulder strap and the silicone could damage the silicone. I understood the message, unfortunately it is very hard for me to try a seaskin based in UK with my razor configuration.. should I create another topic to have feedback from people having razor + seaskin + silicone seals ?

Thanks for your input though
If you put on your Razor harness over a sweater (and fasten it, as if you went diving) and measure the lateral space between the inside edges of your shoulder straps on the very top of your shoulders, you could assess. If that lateral distance is 25 cm, you're good. If it's significantly less, this might be an issue.

Just to clarify, we are talking about the SiTech Quick Neck seal?

I know that my membrane drysuit with a SiTech Quick Neck silicone seal works fine. I have heard that some people have issues with the width of the hard plastic neck ring. Has not been an issue with me in many years of diving with it on a couple of drysuits. For @berndo's benefit, that's using sidemount, backmount and rebreather.

The main difference is neoprene tends to grip you more than a trilam which doesn't have much/any stretch.
Some undergarments can restrict air flow through the dump valve. I have no idea how and why a neo would 'grip' you more or less than a tri.

Some undergarments can restrict air flow through the dump valve. I have no idea how and why a neo would 'grip' you more or less than a tri.
'cos it's stretchy.

@Hcklo just found @Cheizz's thread which probably has all your questions answered.

Hello everyone,

I am currently living in Switzerland and I have never dived in cold water as I don't have a dry suit. I would love to start a dry suit course to be able to keep diving through the year in SM system (razor).
Since you live in Europe I would look at these drysuits. I would look at a compressed neoprene suit, less underwear is required to stay warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom