What does "Tech" mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were working at the Georgia Aquarium doing underwater structural and cosmetic restoration in the Beluga Whale tank...

My job was primarily that of applying, blending and texturing our proprietary epoxies for the cosmetic work, thus my hands were usually completely gooped up and incapable of touching anything without essentially destroying it in the process.

My nose needed pinched while I was swimming down containers of freshly mixed epoxy that were sitting in the palm of each hand. :idk:

The bouyancy issues came into play when hovering a foot or so above the work area so as not to land in the fresh epoxies that were just "painted" on, while both hands were again fully occupied with one holding a container and the other doing the "painting" and texturing.

-Tim

That is why man invented disposable jump suits, disposable gloves and Vasiline. :D

The epoxy ate right through the gloves and actually made matters worse once they pretty much "melted" to us... Sadly, our wetsuits did end up becoming "disposable", and we never thought to try Vaseline.

It makes the hard diving gear epoxy and underwater paint resistant. For gloves you want to use some thing that is compatable with the material at hand. Those little latex gloves and neoprene scuba gloves would not be my first choice. Also, the white Tyvek jump suits are a lot better than the cotton mechanic coveralls we use to use, but epoxy stuck to $20 coveralls is better than tossing out $200 worth of wet suit.

Wow, that is fantastic info my friend... As I mentioned several posts back, I was the neophyte that was brought to the party, and it has all been a huge learning experience in so many regards. :)

-Tim

I think if anyone seriously has to ask what is technical diving should not be doing it in the first place! I agree with everyones comments on deco stops, ceilings, cave, specialties etc..If you dont know the danger then you should not do the dive

I agree with them. The term is useless, in my opinion, except to stroke egos.

I think this statement hit the nail on the head. It is a title, which people collect the same way they collect cert. cards.
In reality it doesn't make any difference. If it isn't commerical it's for fun (Recreation)

Tech wreck diving means ---- money and travel, plus seas sickness on occassion.

I think this statement hit the nail on the head. It is a title, which people collect the same way they collect cert. cards.
In reality it doesn't make any difference. If it isn't commerical it's for fun (Recreation)
Again...
That ignores the whole scientific diving group. And then what about diving instructors who are getting paid to dive? Would you lump them into commercial diving?

IMO most of these labels are worthless except in a vague reference kind of way.

Of course-Those who want to label themselves will do so.

As you mentioned it is either recreational diving or military, public safety, commercial diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom