What does it mean by 3/8" or 1/2" port fitting ? How do I know for my reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

work4mike

Reaction score
I apologize for asking a newbie/silly question here but I can't understand what it means when presented with an option for 3/8" or 1/2" port fitting.

I am trying to buy an Apollo Bio-Micro filter and they come available with 3/8" or 1/2" port fittings. I assume this fits to my 1st stage port. say the LP port right?

I have a reg but never figured out whether they are 3/8 or 1/2 ?

How do I confirm this? Can I simply use a ruler and measure diameter or circumference of the opening of the LP port?

Thanks,

hi gaschef,

i recently bought 2 1st stages - Oceanic DX4 and an older Aqualung Micra+. The Oceanic DX4 is connected to an Omega II 2nd stage. I am intending to use it primarily with the DX4.

Don't know about those regs in particular, but basically, Look at the port for the primary second stage where it plugs into the first stage. It has either a 1/2'' fitting, or a 3/8'' fitting for the threads. That's about it, if it's the 1/2'' type and you want to swap regs, dont let them talk you into a pricey 1/2'' hose. Just get a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor and use a standard hose. But most likely you have more common 3/8'' type. Hope this helps.

See what size wrench fits the hose where it goes into the first stage. The 3/8" hoses generally take a 9/16" or 14mm wrench and the 1/2" hoses take a 5/8" or 17mm wrench. Also, if it's 1/2", the other low pressure hoses will take the smaller wrench, and only one port will have a 1/2" hose.

Apeks, Mares, Zeagle, and Kirby Morgan generally have a 1/2" port (probably others too, but those ones I know for sure).

The DX4 is definitely 3/8. Make sure you get the newest version of the bio filter that tightens with an Allen wrench from inside... It's a new mounting system that seem to be more secure and has more swivel movement to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom