what does a reg have to have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
will be taking an OW course this year. Will transfer my current reg setup to a pony. Don't want to upgrade every year. So question is...
What am I looking for in a reg? 1st and 2nd stages. I dive as cold as 30 degrees in the water. Do a couple carribean dives a year. I read that there are differences in regs. What are they and what will I need for my different dives including deep dives.

If you dive 30 degree water you may want a cold water reg. A cold water reg may also last longer due to having an sealed first stage. I have an aqualung conshelf supreme and I love it (an ebay buy) . I also have a non cold water conshelf xiv that I bought for 20 dollars and I also love it. A quality reg will last a lifetime so upgrading every year should not be an issue. My oldest is nearly 40 years old and breaths great. The older metal bodied regs are bullet proof and act as a heat sink. I'd suggest a major brand which helps insure the availabilty of parts long term. you take some risk with smaller companies in that you may have troule getting service.

Yeah - they say you should have a cold water sealed reg in anything colder than 50 degree water

does balanced or unbalanced matter much?

balanced means that it will brathe the same no matter what the pressure
(in theory). thus, it will breathe nicely at depth. also, it will breathe
more or less the same regardless of air pressure in your tank.

with an unbalanced reg, it will become harder and harder to breathe as the
pressure around you (depth) increases. also, it will be harder to breathe
as the air pressure in your tank drops.

well then i'll first see what the choices are at the LDS. But I can't see myself spending a grand on one so I just hope the one I CAN afford has all the necessary features.

all4scuba05:
l then i'll first see what the choices are at the LDS. But I can't see myself spending a grand on one so I just hope the one I CAN afford has all the necessary features.

You want balanced and sealed - from a well-known world-wide maker.

Just stay away from $$$$ titanium. All major manufacturers offer a cold reg, just go to the websites and look at them. Then pick a few out that you'd buy ($$), and go from there...

I agree with a balance and seal 1st stage. I like a diver adjustable flow 2nd stage. It helps to prevent free flow during a surf entry if you can detune the 2nd stage. I'd also look for a wide exhaust to keep the bubbles out of you face. Just my 2 cents....

leisurepro.com has several cold water regs on clearance for around 200 bucks

Save yourself the hassle and just get the Apeks DS4/ATX50 (x2).

Great reg, great price, great in cold water.... nuff said.

Rachel

P.S. I can't believe I'm the first one to scream APEKS!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom