What do you wish was taught during your tec classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitrzac

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a bunch of similar threads in the 'normal' scuba pages, but rarely any tec specific...
Having completed ccr/cave/trimix classes recently, there's still disconnect between how things are taught and how things are done, similar to rec classes, but not as drastic.

For those that have completed an/dp, ccr, cave, or trimix classes, what has experience taught you that wasn't covered in the classes, or wasn't covered well?

Can’t really think of any deltas from my Trimix course.

Sure, one can slide into the lazy practices of the local community but it’s up to the diver to uphold standards.

Nothing I learned in my Trimix course has turned out to be contrived.

But I recognize I may not be experienced enough to accurately discern.

How about ....

Some knowledge of gas blending/mixing/acquiring? Most organizations have their own Gas Blending courses, but much like an AOW course is a "sampler pack", add it in much the same way, so the diver has knowledge behind their gases, when maybe, the LDS "back home" aren't as familiar...

_R

Reactions: OTF
Theory surrounding closed circuit diving; gas blending techniques, etc. are all just grand; but, quite simply, just teach the damn students to carry only what they are truly capable of managing, upon entry -- especially, exits from given beach dive sites.

It may strike some as obvious; but I have righted more “turtled,” so-called “tech” divers, bristling with extraneous gear, in both Monterey, Carmel, and Sonoma than I can easily recall — who, once down, were completely incapable of regaining their footing, in the surf . . .

There's a bunch of similar threads in the 'normal' scuba pages, but rarely any tec specific...
Having completed ccr/cave/trimix classes recently, there's still disconnect between how things are taught and how things are done, similar to rec classes, but not as drastic.

For those that have completed an/dp, ccr, cave, or trimix classes, what has experience taught you that wasn't covered in the classes, or wasn't covered well?
What are you finding to be different?

What are you doing differently than you were taught? And why?

I'm at a loss to your question. My instruction (AN/DP) was geared at 'het your head out of your ass, and take this seriously". I don't know what I think would be more appropriate.

We are at a real crossroads where multiple computers areaking an interesting divergence from a strict regiment, but only if you want to be lazy or careless. A plan is still needed to make sure it is possible....

We are at a real crossroads where multiple computers areaking an interesting divergence from a strict regiment, but only if you want to be lazy or careless. A plan is still needed to make sure it is possible....

It seems to me that there are some groups/people/agencies that eschew computers almost completely, and others that overly rely on them. While most tech divers tend to fall in the middle - plan traditionally (however that may be for them), dive the first portion of the dive "mostly" as they planned, then utilize their computers to get them to the surface as their plan is usually conservative relative to the reality of their dive.

IMO, it's doing a disservice to newer tech divers not to acknowledge that the "stepped profile" of most planned deco/trimix dives is almost always more conservative than the actual dive (since you should be sure to avoid exceeding that on your dive) and that the reality of the dive is that you plan for worst case and follow the computer up after not reaching that case (to not waste gas etc.). Why do 50 minutes of deco when in reality you only need to do 40 based on the real dive profile you hit? /shrug just my thoughts.

I'm only qualified as an OC Trimix diver, but any dive I intend to do where deco is required is carefully planned with regards to bottom time and gas planning for me and whoever I am diving with to ensure we can do this safely and get back to the surface alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom