what do you wear under...under your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first layer under my trilam drysuit is the previously mentioned Polar sports bra and a pair of underwear. Not going to tell you what kind! Only PEARCE knows for sure. :devil:

The next layer is entirely dependent on the temp of the water AT THE DEPTH I AM DIVING. Also, I tend to get hypothermic quickly, so I may wear more than someone else might.

For example, here is what I would wear at Vortex Springs FL, where the water temp is 69F, year round:

1st layer: already discussed. :wink:
2nd layer: long sleeved poly shirt (used by hikers for warmpth & moisture wicking ability), bicycle leggings, and moderately thick hiking socks.
3rd layer: sweatshirt.

If I was diving in colder water, I might wear a heavier sweatshirt, or put on a t shirt over the poly shirt. Similarly, I might add heavier bicycle leggings, like those I wear to cycle in the winter. For me the key is layering.

Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that at minimum I would wear a long sleeved t-shirt and thin leggings because of the possibility of suit pinch at the joints (knees & elbows). So even if I don't need the cloth for WARMPTH, I will certainly need it for protection. (Nothing like coming up after a dive to find you have big purply hickies in the back of the knees or elbows due to suit pinch.) :eek:ut:

~SubMariner~

Holy cow Submariner - I would melt if I was in 69 degree water! Actually, it sounds really comfortable.
I want to get a Weazle suit - I don't know if you've seen them before, but that looks like the ticket for me as far as undergarments go!

Yes, 69F is nice an balmy, isn't it? Especially compared to my Canadian diving days where 40F water was the norm. :wink:

Coldest I've ever been in has been 34F. But that was in a full 1/4" neoprene drysuit with lots of undies!

~SubMariner~

seakdivers once bubbled...
Holy cow Submariner - I would melt if I was in 69 degree water! Actually, it sounds really comfortable.
I want to get a Weazle suit - I don't know if you've seen them before, but that looks like the ticket for me as far as undergarments go!

I have a Weezle suit and they are awesome.. Make sure you get the matching booties.. They keep your feet toasty.. They wick the moisture away from your body and keep you warm even with a major drysuit leak when you're wet. Being a guy I can't really offer any advice on bra's, but I found that regulr cotton undies work great for me.. No extra layer required. My dive budd (female) has weezels too and she normally wears shorts and a t-shirt.. not sure about the undies.. never seen them.. her b/f would probably get upset if I did :)
Oh, and they roll two the size of a large thermos.. absolutely tiny..

I don't understand why there is a need to wear anything under one's drysuit undergarment. It just doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

DrySuitDave:
I don't understand why there is a need to wear anything under one's drysuit undergarment. It just doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Did you happen to notice the last posting to this thread was back in March?

And BTW, if you haven't noticed, women require certain undergarments that men don't :wink:

SubMariner:
Did you happen to notice the last posting to this thread was back in March?

And BTW, if you haven't noticed, women require certain undergarments that men don't :wink:

Well, Sub, being an older thread didn't stop you from posting, so why should it stop me? :wink:

As to there being some requirement that women wear bras, I have to dissent, it is more of a sociological thing of an artificial construct.... it is just far easier to not wear a thing underneath a drysuit undergarment while diving....Americans are too busy attaching shame to the human body, it is quite unhealthy and pathological.

DrySuitDave:
... it is just far easier to not wear a thing underneath a drysuit while diving....Americans are too busy attaching shame to the human body, it is quite unhealthy and pathological.
I'm not ashamed to say I would freeze in my shell suit with nothing under it - not to mention the chafing :icosm13:
Seakdiver - did you find a solution to your original question?

I had meant underneath the garment......I would freeze my butt off too without an insulating garment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom