What do you use as your primary dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhm Mike... remember that talk about too much new gear?:eyebrow:

Thanks for the reminder Ben,

I dove my CAN light at the Break Water in 20 feet of water, did 6 practice dives all with one tank... Just going over bouyancy...

My weight is configured perfect now, but I'm glad I take things over to the BW for practice of new toys...

I sure don't miss practicing in deep water, never do that again,,, :(

MG

Thanks dannobee, I actually seriously considered this, but some people on this board were saying that the 500 lumens and the beam pattern may not be enough to shine through murkiness of BW...

Then don't dive Breakwater, dive Monastery or Carmel instead. :wink:

When I got into night diving I went with the LDS owners advice knowing nothing about lights. I bought a UK HID Light Cannon. The only thing that I would say against this light is that it takes it a little bit to warm up and it eats batties. The battery probplem apears to have been taken care of with the rechargable battery for the 8-c battery lights that they offer.

All in all, supper bright, nice white light. I would buy another one in a heart beat if this one goes kaput.

Thanks for all the recommendations folks. I ended up purchasing a Sartek LED6600C for a wee bit over $500. 660 lumens so it's similar to the Salvo 12w LED Rebel, but not quite. I should definitely get a chance to try out when I dive at Breakwater in a few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to compare it to my instructor's "lightsaber" (Salvo 12w Rebel). I'll post my findings afterwards.

Congrats on your new purchase, looking forward to hearing about your experience with that light....

I've been diving with a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED. 400 lumens, super reliable, pretty gentle on batteries thus far and its been super durable. I tend not to need it much as I'm usually with camera and strobes and the focus light tends to act as my primary dive light.

For $125 or so, its a steal.

Just a note...

Think of all the crap in the water as fog. When you're driving in fog is it better to have the high beams on? No. While I love my 21w Salvo I don't think it cuts the crap (if you will) any better. Now it can illuminate through a lesser ammount of haze in the water than my 10W did, but this is 3x the lumens.

Back
Top Bottom