What do you think of this setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really think that less conservative is better than more conservative? Taking into account well known fact, that there is no such thing as "no deco dive"?

...I guess if you want to get technical, the most conservative thing would be to not dive at all...sounds like that would be best, huh ? I actually want to get my hard earned $'s worth and actually do some diving on a dive trip, with some reasonable/realistic bottom times......but if a Sunnto diver wants to exit the water well before they realistically need to, that's cool......I won't dive with a Sunnto diver for this reason, but that's OK......if they get in half the bottom time I do, what do I really care...they do their thing, I'll do mine...and everyone gets what they want.

i really dont know if a suunto is that conservative (i dont own one im just speeking from thoughts) make you get out half the time be for you need to? i dont think so... i would think minute wise? am i correct and i went to 3 different dive shops and the empoyles use the suuntos so if 3 different shops use them i figure they cant be that conservative

and my main question final question so i can figure this out do you guys think i should buy it yes/no?

Suuntos ARE more conservative than other dive computers, this is a well proven and documented fact. Some argue that more conservative = safer, yet there is no proof (anecdotal or scientific) that proves that belief. Nobody disagrees that Suunto makes an excellent product that will last you many years.

Many of us have seen divers with Suunto computers locked out of being able to dive on liveaboards, or restricted to shallower depths when doing repetitive diving. Whether or not you choose a Suunto is your choice, and not a bad one, just a different one than many of us who prefer a less conservative but equally safe computer (like Oceanic).

Just remember that whatever computer you choose, the one you should always follow is located between your ears, not clipped to your BC or on your wrist (yes, I mean your brain). Computers are great tools, but they aren't a substitute for planning your dives.

Just remember that whatever computer you choose, the one you should always follow is located between your ears, not clipped to your BC or on your wrist (yes, I mean your brain). Computers are great tools, but they aren't a substitute for planning your dives.

of course you plan your divess!!! lol always plan a dive :) but okay yeah i found my package but then again i wanna look around used... kinda maybe look at what my price options are for that i found everything i want for 1600 then 1696 after taxes at my LDS

I would go for an otcopus iso the air source 3

x2. An octopus makes better sense to me than a alternate air source inflator. I have traveled with my reg set in carryon and my dive gear packed. Sometimes the dive gear makes it, sometimes not. It is far easier to rent a BCD and use your own computer/regs than having to swap around a lot of hoses etc. YMMV.

Personally I really, really, really don't like the inflator alternate air source option.

Sure you eliminate a hose, but that is about the only advantage.

In an OOA situation you breath off of that thing and your buddy is on your primary. You're primary hose isn't that long so maintaining eye contact with your buddy is VERY hard.

Personally I prefer the long hose method and then the second is your traditional octo.

Suunto's make fine computers. People call them too conservative. However conservative computers are typically more liberal on repetative dives. Computers that are liberal, tend to be more conservative on repetative dives. Just food for thought!

Buy most cheaper. In case you'll fall in love in diving you have to sell both of equp. and buy another.
paddler3d +1 about air sourse. Best way for safty - use long horse for primary stage - to give it to your buddy in an OOA sutuation

Hi,
i would also go for an octo, as say for example if your primary mouth piece dies, at least u can use your octo. May i suggest apeks flight as an alternative to the micron. i love the cobras, the air integrated is such a great safety feature as you know exactly how much time u have underwater. it also is half the price of say a d9/vytec and transmitter.

I've put a couple hundred dives on my Suunto D9, and I'm pretty happy with it. I like knowing the consensus is that Suunto=conservative, because I don't beat myself up if I push its limits - I try to dive a smooth, solid profile, as it were, but sometimes I ascend too quickly, or stay too long at depth on a repetitive dive*, and I know the computer is merely warning me. No computer I've seen will actually track what's REALLY going on in your tissues, they're all just algorithms, so I like the conservative ones for that reason.

*I always dive with 2 computers. You should too. Best recommendation I've ever gotten, and one of the best ones I can give anyone who travels. When one computer fails (when, not if), you've got the other one ready to go because it's been diving with you the whole time, and you can just swap the computers' places on your rig and keep diving - nothing like being left on the boat on an expensive trip when everyone else is diving!.... (I also like comparing how the 2 read my dives, Oceanic Veo 180 & Suunto D9, where they match & where they deviate slightly....)

I've also put a couple hundred dives on my A/L Airsource 3, which I do like and I won't be going back to a hosed octo anytime soon. Reason being: most of my dives are functionally solo, and I like having one less thing dangling and catching kelp. (This probably isn't the place for arguments on solo vs buddy diving, though I'm sure there are some strong opinions.)

The one thing I do NOT like about the Airsource 3: when you get sand in the buttons, they become stuck, almost irreparably. There really does need to be some way of getting under the buttons to dislodge them. It could get you into serious trouble if the inflate button stuck during a dive....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom