What do you think of this package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cero21

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm a brand new diver and I'm thinking of purchasing gear as rentals costs here are running about $100 a shot.

What do you think of the Diver's Supply special of the month? $699 for a complete kit
* Mares Pegasus BCD
* Mares Prestige 32 Regulator
* Sea Elite SX30 Octopus
* Sea Elite Slimline 2
* Edge Regulator Bag Black

I'd put the link but I'm not allowed yet because I don't have enough posts.

I'm not looking at doing any real technical diving but this kit will be used in cold water as well as warm.

Is this a good deal for $699? Could I do better with something else?

Thanks for your help.

Compare the prices here:

LeisurePro.com

Most will acknowledge that Leisurepro generally has the best advertised prices.

Compare the prices here:

Most will acknowledge that Leisurepro generally has the best advertised prices.

Good call.

How about this package I made myself from Leisurepro? I turns about to be almost the same price ~ $700

Mares Pegasus
Aqualung Kronos Regulator
Aqualung Calyspo/Titan Octopus
Mares 1 Mission Compact Pressure Gauge (I have a Suunto Gekko already so I don't need a depth gauge)
Oceania Cargo Deluxe Regulator Bag

I know a lot of people love Aqualung so I decided to change for that.

Hi,

I'm a brand new diver and I'm thinking of purchasing gear as rentals costs here are running about $100 a shot.

What do you think of the Diver's Supply special of the month? $699 for a complete kit
* Mares Pegasus BCD
* Mares Prestige 32 Regulator
* Sea Elite SX30 Octopus
* Sea Elite Slimline 2
* Edge Regulator Bag Black

I'd put the link but I'm not allowed yet because I don't have enough posts.

here's the link for those interested for the discussion
Scuba Package Special of the Month

you can post links/URL's after you've had 5 posts. They limit beforehand to new accounts to keep newly joined spammers from posting links. (spammers trying to post links usually give up before 5 posts if their link posting doesn't work).

Nothing wrong with the above listed Sea elite gear. lots of folks dive it, or one of the other regs JUST LIKE IT with another manufacturers logo on it. (many of these brands are all made in the same factory in Tawain )

However, you can only get the Sea Elite rebuild kits from Diver Supply. If you plan on getting your gear serviced there, not a problem. but your home LDS might not be able to get parts for it. They do use some of the same rebuilt kits though that Scubamax, Dive Rite, etc use. FYI.

I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying this package though based just on that. just something as FYI.

Cero,

Where in Canada are you located? And what type of diving are you looking to end up doing. While it maybe cheaper to buy a standard package now that will save you on renting... Buy a set of gear you are going to turn over with in a year due to the type of diving you want to get into may also end up.

Many around me really enjoy diving the Backplate and wing system, others enjoy the standardized BCD design, it all comes down to a personal choice.

If you are looking to excel beyond your basic open water diving, into anything such as wreck penetration, caves or technical diving you might want to consider the retal fee's a cost of training and then look to buy the right gear the first time.

I'd buy some good used stuff------ie BC for $150-, regulators(X3) for $175-, mesh equipment bag(new) $25......half price & probably better stuff.....

Micheal - I'm currently living in Quebec. Not sure exactly what type I diving I'm going get into yet.

That said, I've decided now to hold off on any purchases until next year. I was thinking having my gear for my trip to thailand would be good but looking at costs, it seem like it is very cheap to rent down there compared to here Canada.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

See if you can dive a variety of gear before you buy. There is a lot out there and you might be surprised at what you like and what you don't like!

Nothing wrong with the above listed Sea elite gear. lots of folks dive it, or one of the other regs JUST LIKE IT with another manufacturers logo on it. (many of these brands are all made in the same factory in Tawain )

However, you can only get the Sea Elite rebuild kits from Diver Supply. If you plan on getting your gear serviced there, not a problem. but your home LDS might not be able to get parts for it. They do use some of the same rebuilt kits though that Scubamax, Dive Rite, etc use. FYI.

This is probably the single most important point that anyone can offer. Todays regs are all fantastic and perfectly safe no matter who's name is on it. There is a very important point that brand names offer, customer service and service availability. Certain companies really stand behind their products and offer great service if you ever have a problem. Also, make sure that your local shop not only can service the reg that you buy, but that they actually service them regularly. generally the more they service a brand the more competent they are and will provide your reg better service. So, no matter what the price, if you can't get service it will be a waste of money.

I think Diver's Supply does a good job. I bought a package form them for $749.00 including Oceanic 180 computer. No Problems with any of it.
I am aware I have to send it to Diver's Supply for maintenance, the first years service is free! + Parts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom