What do you make of this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TIA. I had my first one this year, although not underwater.

TIA? I've seen stroke victims move exactly like that then it clears and they are looking at you in a sort of "what am I doing here?" look

Exactly what I was thinking it sounded like.

Did the Diver in question take this seriously and indicate they would get a medical check up after the incident? If they had a stroke / TIA then they really need treatment.

He got a seizure, but I don’t understand why the reg wasn’t in his mouth. Everything he described happened in seconds but feels like an eternity.

Just to answer a few of the points raised.
I do not know the diver at all, he had dived with some other groups that week and he would have gone to around the 30m mark, maybe slightly deeper once or twice. He seemed like a competent enough diver but this was the only dive I did with him so can't be sure. We were all on air. The dive was a wall dive with a nominal 30m limit, bottom of wall would be about 35m. I was mainly at 20 to 25m and he only went beneath me a couple of times, if he did go over 30m it was only briefly and some time before the end of the dive. I would guess he was between 55 and late 60s, quite tall and not overweight. Seemed fairly fit and active. After that dive I did not see him again. I think if he had been listed to dive again and had not turned up I would have heard something. He never said if he was going to seek medical advice nor did he seem unduly bothered, but as in my original post it was only a brief conversation as we finished getting changed.

I've know someone who had a transient ischemic attack who was in his 30's with no negative health factors. He implied after seeking medical care that the assumption going forward would be that it was a one off event with no expectation of any impairment or limitation. He didn't stop driving so I wouldn't expect anyone to necessarily give up diving either.

Sounds like nomodiveitus

This person is very lucky to be alive. Absolutely does not seem like narcosis and more likely an epileptic seizure.

Was anything done on the boat on the return trip? Was the dive master informed?

At the very least ,IMHO ,he should have been given O2.It may not help but it would never hurt. I was taught if any doubt start the O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom