What do you guys think of this tank/valve combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
XS Scuba DIN/Yoke Valve VX200 (second one down on the XS page)
XS Scuba Din/Yoke Valve pro 3442 PSI EANX
XS Scuba Valves

I am using an Atomic B2 DIN Regulator

Edit - I had the time to do a little more research after making this thread and decided to go with High Pressure Steel instead of the Compact AL80 I had previously listed.

However, I am still interested in the valve listed above, or at least that type of valve. I am open to other manufacturers that make this type of "multi-valve" if you have any recommendations.

How significant of a difference as far as "amount of air" is there between the HP80 and HP100? Does an HP80 hold roughly the same amount of air as an AL80? How does the operating pressure play into effect?

I am interested in an HP100. I currently dive with about 9-10 lbs with just a bathing suit and rashguard. I purchased a 3mm full wetsuit but have not dove with it yet so I don't know what I'd have to adjust as far as weighting for that.

According to the website, my LDS only has FABER Blue Steel FX100 and FX80 tanks but I'm interested in the Worthingtons also.

Do any of you guys "overrate" the valve? Say the tank is rated at 3442, would you go with a valve that supports a slightly higher pressure rating? Do they even exist above 3442 for rec diving? I assume that's what the burst disk is for but my buddy brought this concern up.

Last edited:
The only problem with 3300 psi is whether you can get a complete fill. This may never happen on a boat trip but it should be no problem at your LDS. If you get stuck with a 3000 psi fill, you tank has only 72 cf. Actually, 72.727272 psi which is kind of a neat number!

Richard

Thanks for the reply. Most fills will be done at an LDS so I should probably just spend the extra $30 and get the C80/Neutrally bouyant 3300 tank?

A Worthington HP80 holds more air than an AL80. I always have recommended an HP100. Even with a short fill your better of than an AL80 and will have more air than most.

A Worthington HP80 holds more air than an AL80. I always have recommended an HP100. Even with a short fill your better of than an AL80 and will have more air than most.

Thanks, I think I'll more than likely go with an HP100.

My fire dept just switched all are tanks over to the HP100 and we all love them. Able to get rid of alot of weight and add a lot of air. If you have a pretty good SAC rate you should have plenty air in those tanks to accomplish alot.

You will like the hp100's for single tank diving. Plenty of air for 'normal' rec dive and the size and buoyancy is very nice.

Now I see what happened! You changed the type of tank to HP.

Sure, you'll like the HP 100. It is lighter than a Luxfer S80 and has better buoyancy characteristics. It also moves the weight up on your back and this tends to help with trim.

Worthington tanks come with a Pro valve (adaptable between yoke and DIN) or at least they do around here.

The only downside to HP 100s is the price. These things tend to cost around $300 each and I have 6 of them.

There is also the issue of 3442 psi versus the 3000 psi yoke on older regulators. Some of our herd's new regulators are DIN and one has a 3500 psi yoke. However, all of my favorite regs (Oceanic Omega II) have to be retrofitted with DIN fittings.

Short fills are a way of life when HP 100s are used on a boat dive.

Richard

The short simple and best answer.

If you do a search there a post regarding finding HP 100s made by Faber for under $300.

XS Scuba DIN/Yoke Valve VX200 (second one down on the XS page)
XS Scuba Din/Yoke Valve pro 3442 PSI EANX
XS Scuba Valves

However, I am still interested in the valve listed above, or at least that type of valve. I am open to other manufacturers that make this type of "multi-valve" if you have any recommendations.

The XS Valves above are good valves. They are very much like the Thermo Pro valves but with just a few features that are different. (the crush seat is different and the turn stem is different). But nothing you'd notice in performance delivery difference.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

How significant of a difference as far as "amount of air" is there between the HP80 and HP100?

Simple math... 20cf difference.

or the HP100 holds 25% more gas than a HP80 does.

Does an HP80 hold roughly the same amount of air as an AL80?

No... a HP80 holds 80cf when full to the rated capacity.

an AL80 only holds 77.x cubic feet. I guess the marketing people "rounded up" when they named it. but it really doesn't hold 80cf of gas when filled to 3000psi.

How does the operating pressure play into effect?

The tank is rated at XX cubic feet based on the stated operating pressure of the tank.

So if an AL80 is rated for 3000psi, it's rated for its normal capacity of 77cf

a HP100 rated at 3442psi, will hold 100cf at that psi.

The only real difference is in the Low Pressure (LP) tanks. Some people fill them past the normal rated pressure of 2400psi or the "plus rated" pressure of 2640psi. For exmaple some folks fill them to 2800psi or 3000psi (or more). You can debate this away in many other past threads.... it is what it is....

According to the website, my LDS only has FABER Blue Steel FX100 and FX80 tanks but I'm interested in the Worthingtons also.

You'll like the Worthingtons better. They have a better finish and by default come with a better valve. (unless your LDS ordered them with Thermo Valves, which some shops do). (Normally FX100's come with a Blue Steel valve made by san-o-sub.)

Nothing wrong with the FX100's though. I've got a couple of them and they work great.

Do any of you guys "overrate" the valve? Say the tank is rated at 3442, would you go with a valve that supports a slightly higher pressure rating? Do they even exist above 3442 for rec diving? I assume that's what the burst disk is for but my buddy brought this concern up.

You can get a valve with a higher pressure, but it's not a "convertible vavle". For example you can get a 3500psi valve but it's DIN only. (no Yoke insert).

Back
Top Bottom