What do you do underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like others who have posted, I do a whole lot of different things, depending with whom I happen to be diving and where. One thing that I do when i dive solo in a very familiar site is to get negative, lie on the bottom, relax, get zen-like, almost sleep, enjoy the soliditude and tranquility and watch the fish swim by and check me out. Goodness, I love that feeling. Thanks for asking.

when working... I'm an underwater Mother hen, constantly making sure my little chicks are safe and having fun. When I'm play diving, it's total bliss. The viz could be bad, and I would still have a great time. I find myself just relaxing and checking everything out.

I always find myself checking on the populations and condition of various critters, and sort of vaguely updating my knowledge about the sealife, especially in the areas surrounding the Olmec and Maya lowlands, and in the Sea of Cortez. In other places, I am mostly just a tourist, although I am always curious about how the sea critters and their relations vary from one place to another. I spent an enormous amount of time studying the distribution of marine molluscs back in my younger days, and I tend to focus on those things that I used to study seriously.

Well since I'm too new to really just lay back and enjoy myself... I try to make sure my buoyancy is "tight", not die, then mainly just follow the guide and snap pictures at everything the guide points out with my crappy "one step above a disposable" camera like a freaking Japanese tourist! Then stressing that I've sucked my tank down in about 30-35 minutes.

Maybe after a summer of hitting the quarry, I'll get my act together and get better at the "just enjoy the dive" part of it, and everything will fall into place..

(not that I don't enjoy it, I'm just not where I want to be yet)

Right now, concentrating on my buoyancy & other skills, but once i have more experience i will be searching for the prettiest fishes :)

Kim:
Some people are underwater tourists.... but they don't see much!
Some people are underwater technicians....so they see a lot of their dials.
Some people are underwater socialites.....so they only see their buddy.

OK, OK, maybe a little harsh....but when YOU are diving what are you primarily doing? Why are you down there to start with? What's the point?

I guess for everyone it's probably a little different as well as being a balance between various factors, so where do YOU draw the lines? What are you thinking about the most while you are in an environment we can't normally survive in?

I enjoy the overwhelming beauty of the many colours of anemonies and fishes. It causes me to comprehend the infinite power of Diety, in creating the undersea world as well as the dry land. ("Deity" comes from the Greek name THAEOS which is the name of the leading deity in the ancient Greek pantheon.)

The gauge work usually waits until I have made my turn around point whenever I am diving with my double tanks. (Turn around point = ( planned bottom time - descent time ) x 1/2 + descent time.) For single tank diving, it is all pretty much a walk in the park then. Undersea park.

for me. i guess it will be relax. enjoy the weightlessness, see and appreciate what goes on around you. I like the quietness and clamness that underwater seems to provide. When working, it will be criitters, divers, critters... repeat as you like. and of coz make sure everyone gets back fine

I observe all of the life you find there.

I've recently purchased a camera so my next venture in diving is to try to capture the beautiful moments underwater interacting with all of the interesting creatures our oceans offer. I do like to take time to practice skills and am constantly trying to better my diving and safety skills.

As a new diver I am still learning how to dive. I want to dive wrecks and that is my main ambition. I am sure once I get past trying to learn how dive I will dive wrecks and get off to warm, pretty dive sites to see the sea life whenever I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom